Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Sheep Hunting

Sheep Hunting Techniques For Sheep Hunting

What is one of the "Best" sheep areas in WYO?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Silver Member

What is one of the "Best" sheep areas in WYO?

I am in the process of trying to find one of the best sheep areas in Wyo, seeing how my dad and I are getting close to the top of the PP list. Anyone have any statistics that I could pour over?

Thanks,
Casey
Old 01-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: What is one of the "Best" sheep areas in WYO?

Hi Casey. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm one short of max pref points for Wy. From what I have been able to find out... Area 2 can be very good with some snow to move the sheep out of the park. Often have to wait till the last week of the season. Has some excellent rams. Area 1 has a reputation of being one of the most rugged units. Tough to hunt. Area 3 has good sheep and decent access. Good area to look at. My gunsmith used to guide over there years ago. He claims the best rams come from area 2 and 3. Area 4 has good sheep but the outfitter I talked to last week claims there is really only one great camping spot for where you want to hunt. If it is taken then you are S.O.L. I'm sure there are other camping spots, but they are certainly less convenient. Just what I have been told. 5 is the area that everybody seems to want to put in for. Lots of tags and sheep. One of the largest areas. Have seen some pics of good sheep from there.
Seem to be a number of people with max points applying for over to Devils canyon by Lovell and also the unit by Newcastle. Only one tag for each of those areas. Saw a pic of a great ram from over by Newcastle from 2010. Be a few more years before we could draw those 2 areas. Don't know if that is any help. I'd like to hear from those who have more experience along the same lines.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

I have seen mediocre to decent ram from area 5 but haven't been very impressed. Like you said everyone seems to want that area. Most all the guys that I know have taken rams there. If a person could hunt the rams down by Boysen Res then I would be all over that!! There are nice rams that come out of area 19 but very limited access. It would be very close and handy for scouting. My uncle shot a ram a book ram in 65' south of Dubois near Wetstone. Other than that I am trying to glean any info I can. Tomorrow, I am going to stop in at G&F headquarters and see what info they have. I'll let you know.

You know we could easily draw certain areas with the PPs we have. I just don't want to settle after waiting this many years.

Casey
Old 01-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Silver Member

I'd be interested in what they have to say at the office. I'm with you. Right now there is essentially 100% chance of drawing several areas with 1 short of max points. I'd rather wait 1-2 more yrs if necessary to get the right area. Are you planning a DIY hunt or hiring a guide? I go back and forth. Once in a lifetime basically.... Bruce
Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Silver Member

I have always imagined a DIY hunt. Have you looked at the success statistics on the G&Fs website. It runs about 80%+ and a bit better if you have a guide. Guided hunts are usually successful in six days or so and ungiuded in around eleven days, if I remember correctly. I was going to hold off a year or two as I have a big elk hunt coming up. The problem is I am getting all pumped up checking it out, I am not sure I want to wait now, Bruce. I definitely won't settle for a sub par area... that's a fact.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Silver Member

Get any info from the Game and Fish? I have thought about calling some outfitters and asking about success and sizes as well as their preferred areas. Bruce
Old 01-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

Bureaucracy seems to be somewhat of a problem so far. The main office referred me to the regional offices. The Cory office sent me a report that I need to look at. The rest were either unavailable till the end of the month or left messages. No one seemed to have an identical type of report as the Cody office. They are helpful just don't have the info readily available or know how to compile it. So today I will look at the report and return a phone call. I will let you know what I find out, Bruce. Let me know what the outfitters have to say, Bruce. Maybe we can get this figured out. :-)