Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Sheep Hunting

Sheep Hunting Techniques For Sheep Hunting

Sheep rifle after 2 shoulder surgeries this year?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Gold Member

Re: Sheep rifle after 2 shoulder surgeries this year?

I took a 9" mtn goat with a .243 at 305 lazed yards. I wanted him down where he was, so took a shoulder shot. I later found the bullet in the shoulder on the opposite side. Bullet was a 90 gr Fusion. Taxidermist estimated live weight at over 300 lbs. He was a hog as goats go.
I would use a 243 on a sheep.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Bronze Member

I took my .308 with 150 AccuBonds on my Dall hunt. I used the exact same scope you have on it but put on some CDS turrets. I found the turrets to be a wise investment.

The good news is that the bullets today are well-constructed and will penetrate/expand to get the job done. You don't need a big azz kicker rifle that most guys believe will make them successful. I see that Nosler makes a 90 grain AccuBond for the .243. I wouldn't hesitate going that route. Put the bullet where it needs to be and you have a dead sheep.

I will tell you to consult the Nosler reloading manual for the .243. The load that worked for my .308's 150s and 200s was the exact recipe in the book. It's a good starting point if you are going to make your own loads.

Don't forget to factor-in the wind. The lighter bullet will drift more in a crosswind. It could make a big difference at 300. Practice, practice, practice.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

Ive shot 5 mature bull Tahr with my .243.
mature bull Tahr are big animals(most are over 300lbs live weight) similar size to mountain goats from clients I have had that have shot both.
I would go with the .243 with a tough bullet. Im using 87gn interbonds at the moment and theyve been good. Also used a 75gn GS custom bullet on my first and biggest bull Tahr at 250yards one shot on the run and he stopped dead.
I would go with a interbond or a barnes and keep the shots inside 300-350 yards max.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:35 PM

I have been on a sheep hunt and goat hunt with the old man. He used a 300 win mag and both were shot at 450-475 yards. goat went down like a ton of bricks the sheep wasn't a stellar hit and he ran down hill 300 yards. I would want at least something in 6.5mm and be ready to shoot some distance. Remember it is once in a lifetime and you will have the rest of your life for shoulda done it this way or that. Best of luck and hope to hear a good hunting story.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Silver Member

Suggest the proven 270 win with 130 grain Accubonds

maybe a good lightweight rifle like the Win 70 featherweight and good KDF muzzle brake and Decerator recoil pad