Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Sheep Hunting

Sheep Hunting Techniques For Sheep Hunting

Sheep rifle after 2 shoulder surgeries this year?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 09:09 AM
Silver Member

Re: Sheep rifle after 2 shoulder surgeries this year?

I love the lack of recoil in the 7mm 08. Have shot a friends and it is very mild to shoot. Just a little concerned about the long range capabilities. Spend as much time with the rifle as you dare. Get your friend to shoot it and get real familiar with drops out to 600 yards. Best of luck on your sheep hunt. I killed a bighorn in Wy this past year. 140 gr burger with less than an ideal hit put him down in less than 100 yards. Using a 6.5-06. Best of luck to you. Bruce
Old 07-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

Congratulations on the tag. I envy you! The unfortunate news is that you will develop scar tissue, adhesions, and definitely arthritis where you had surgery. I'm not a fan of having anything pounding away on a newly modified body part personally. The best advice I read so far is learning to shoot with the other eye/shoulder, especially if your vision is just as good in that eye. That was my first thought when I opened the thread.

Pain free doesn't = "healed" just as healed doesn't = "pain free."

With a well placed shot, there's no reason the 243 won't do the job. That said, I'm no fan of that caliber. Since it looks like you are taking a 7-08, I think that is a great choice. Even if you are shooting it and can handle the recoil, I don't recommend the continued jarring on the shoulder. Ultimately, that's between you and your surgeon. Maybe you can adapt to a shooting vest with a pad in it.

Possessing a once in a lifetime tag and potentially worsening a shoulder further is a tough choice. Good luck and good hunting!
Old 07-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Gold Member

That's a great choice. Between my daughter and I we have taken 6 elk with her 7-08, mostly using the 140 gr Accubond.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:50 AM

Shooting left-handed? I think I'll get through okay right handed, using some common sense. My shoulder is actually rehabbing pretty well.
There's still 3 months before I hit the firing range (& 4 months until the season starts). The buddy I'm borrowing the rifle from will be doing the fine tuning at the range (to help my shoulder keep repeated recoil to a minimum); I'll do considerable dry-firing before I go live.
The bigger challenge: though I've maintained my daily treadmill workout the past several months, I want to get into even better shape. The high school football stadium steps are only a mile away, and calling me. I'll probably develop a love/ hate relationship hitting them the next couple months while wearing my hunting pack (lol) ...
Old 07-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Funny you mention that. I've been doing our high school stadium steps too. I go 2 laps around the track, then up and down all the stairs on one side, then the other, then 2 laps, and so on, for 90 minutes.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Silver Member

The 260 has a little better distance performance than the 7-08 but not a lot. The 260 with a break would be perfect for you, if available, but the 7-08 should do just fine. A PAST shoulder pad offers a lot of shoulder protection, especially for practice.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Bronze Member

I've killed most of my PA whitetails with the 243 Win and the 7-08. Ranges were from 80 to 300+ yards. Used other calibers: 308 Win, 280 Rem, 7mm Rem, and the 270 Win. The 7-08/140 gr was my preferred caliber for mountain hunting and I would be be fine with that. I would balk at the 243 for your sheep hunt. I have no sheep hunting experience so my point of reference is the relative effectiveness on deer.
My current darling is the 6.5 Creedmoor which I put above the 308 cased rounds for deer. If you plan to keep hunting, you might consider barreling the Ruger to 6.5 Creedmoor. I got 2850 fps out of one of my 7-08's with 140's but that was hot and exceptional. I had several 280's but they didn't show me enough over a 7-08 to warrant a long action and the extra weight. In comparable weight rifles, I think that the 6.5 Creedmoor will be kinder to you than a 7-08 and more like a 243.