Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Sheep Hunting

Sheep Hunting Techniques For Sheep Hunting

mountain goat hunt unit 51 idaho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 04:09 PM

mountain goat hunt unit 51 idaho

i was on of the fortunate ones to draw this tag, any info would be helpful.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

Re: mountain goat hunt unit 51 idaho

First, congrats! Second, I'm jealous. You may have been here but I always start here: Map Center | Huntplanner.

It use to be an o.k. tool, but now that they've overlayed the areas on google maps it's a better tool! I've never hunted that mountain range but I've hunted the west side of that valley, near Howe and up west of the Donkey Hills.

Are you local, know the area....? We may be able to help more with a little more information.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member

Best way to ensure success, I feel, is an outfitter.

Be prepared to hunt high and hard. And cush out some $.......

Don't know from where you are. Nevertheless get in shape, real good shape the air is pretty thin in that neck of the woods...

Little Lost Outfitters - Idaho Big Game Hunts
Old 06-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Don't know how long it took you to draw. Took me 15 years to draw a bighorn in Wy. I got an out fitter and don't regret it at all figured I would not draw another tag so spent the cash. Good Luck.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:31 AM

ntg,

no i am not local im from north dakota so i have sea level working against me. I talked to the outfitter he only has a one week were it would work for him but it wont work for me, HE WAS VERY HELPFUL AND GAVE ME ALOT OF INFO HE SAID HE WOULD PUT up a drop camp for me. Im on the fence with the drop camp thing because your commited to that drainaige so not sure what im going to do

any info would be helpful thanks

casey
Old 06-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Silver Member

Boy....I don't know what else to tell you. I've only hunted in that area a few times and never for goats. I'd try to follow up on the outfitter's info as much as I could. Did you ask him of other outfitters in the area? If you are not excited about the drop camp, there are a number of campgrounds in the area and you could base camp there and explore different drainages every couple of days. See what you can learn form F&G numbers on where the tags were filled in the last couple of years and try to learn as much about those areas as you can. Sorry I'm not more help.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:09 PM

What draniages did the outfitter tell you to look for them I?
I have hunted there a few times in the lower end of the unit and there is a few good trails
You can use to base camp out of. You hunting off 4wheeler? Horse? Foot?