Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Sheep Hunting

Sheep Hunting Techniques For Sheep Hunting

Load workup for Dall Sheep Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 06:40 PM

Re: Load workup for Dall Sheep Hunt

I feel better. I have been pretty much honing in on the Accubond for my long range big game loads. We get lots of shooting at Bulls on the Oregon coast in the 550-800 yard ranges and so am setting up my 300win for that job after the sheep hunt is over.

One of the things that is very attractive (as long as the bullet works)about the Accubond is that the Accubond and Ballistic Tip are identical B.C's with the ballistic tip being less heavily built and less costly which makes it a good choice for light skinned game as well as a lower cost practice bullet. Additionalyl, according to Sierra Infinity V6, the Sierra Gameking in 180 grain shoots out to 400+ yds pretty much on the same path as the Noslers with an almost identical B.C, and may have its own applications with interchangeability being the key....one load, three bullets, you don't get that to often.

Thanks for clarifying what that bullet went through, as when I saw that pic. my first thought was a rib cage, heart lung shot and at almost 400yds, I expected to see a bullet looking more like the one in the pic on the left, but you can't expect anything to look too pretty after banging along the spine for a couple feet.

Sounds like it did great on the Moose and that gives me confidence to go ahead and work some load up with them.

If you don't mind sharing, what load (primer/powder etc) are you shooting and what kind of velocities are you seeing.

Thanks again
Old 01-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnflyr4fun View Post
I feel better. I have been pretty much honing in on the Accubond for my long range big game loads. We get lots of shooting at Bulls on the Oregon coast in the 550-800 yard ranges and so am setting up my 300win for that job after the sheep hunt is over.

One of the things that is very attractive (as long as the bullet works)about the Accubond is that the Accubond and Ballistic Tip are identical B.C's with the ballistic tip being less heavily built and less costly which makes it a good choice for light skinned game as well as a lower cost practice bullet. Additionalyl, according to Sierra Infinity V6, the Sierra Gameking in 180 grain shoots out to 400+ yds pretty much on the same path as the Noslers with an almost identical B.C, and may have its own applications with interchangeability being the key....one load, three bullets, you don't get that to often.

Thanks for clarifying what that bullet went through, as when I saw that pic. my first thought was a rib cage, heart lung shot and at almost 400yds, I expected to see a bullet looking more like the one in the pic on the left, but you can't expect anything to look too pretty after banging along the spine for a couple feet.

Sounds like it did great on the Moose and that gives me confidence to go ahead and work some load up with them.

If you don't mind sharing, what load (primer/powder etc) are you shooting and what kind of velocities are you seeing.

Thanks again
Load was 300 RUM. 95.0 H50BMG, Remington case, Federal 215 gold medal primers. Standard length. Velocity was 3050 FPS. My rifle is no longer fitted with that barrel. Now it has a 338 barrel.

I have also used the 150 Accubond in my 308 for sheep and mule deer. Both died very quickly and the mulie buck dropped where he stood on impact. The ram stood there for a few seconds and kicked over. The exit on the ram was over an inch and blood spewed out of it like crazy. Definately not afraid to use them here. Some of my buddies use them for close quater moose loads and have all had great results with them as well. Good expansion and dead very quickly. Just the way we like it.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:58 AM

no better bullet for the money. with a 270 win one shot bull elk kill, and one shot kill on deer this year. with my 300 rum i killed a bull one shot. no problem. if they made a heavier bullet for .338 thats what i would load in my edge. nothing but praises for this bullet.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

I hope this photo comes across. The left bullet is a 90 gr. E-tip out of my sons 6mm Remington at 3160 fps. All bullets were recoverd from water jug #6 at 100 yards. The center is a 165 gr. Accubond from my 30-06 in my Ruger #1B at 2940 fps. The right bullet is a 100 gr. Partition out of my 6mm at about 3100fps. Again all were recoved in jug #6 at 100 yards. I love the Accubonds and I think a 180 or 200 gr. would work very well for you. My buddy shot a really nice 6x6 at about 300 yards with his 300 WSM and 180 gr. Accubond. He shot the bull twice. One bullet exited and the other was found on the ground when he was dressing the bull out. Great textbook performance. Like you said too, buy the Ballistic Tips for practice!! Good luck on your hunt.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the great pics, looks like all three bullets are capable of devastating knockdowns...