Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Sheep Hunting

Sheep Hunting Techniques For Sheep Hunting

Ibex

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Ibex

Ibex hunting in the Floridas is possible and there is good public access. But, you must be in good condition, not be afraid of heights, be aware that Ibex live in nose bleed country. Look at the Floridas on Google earth. To draw a tag can be difficult and may take some time. MTG
Old 02-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Silver Member

+1 on it being a tough hunt
I've been on the hunt a couple times with other people and can guarantee it aint easy. Steep country and a lot of loose rock. Last years draw odds for the rifle hunt were .4%. Yep point 4%. Also the mountain they call home is a long way fromTexas and i dont think any have made it over the state line. Heck, they hardly survive making it off the Floridas because of the unlimited year round tags for the areas surrounding their home. With all this i still believe it would be a very rewarding hunt, so if you decide to procede and do draw out pm me and ill try to give you some more info..
Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Silver Member

There used to be a pretty good group of sheep in the Hatchets and one in the Dona Ana mountains.. But you are right those unlimited tags sure did a number on them... The Tres Hermanas also used to have a lot... The population goal was around 300 animals but it is WAY above that now..
J
Old 11-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Bronze Member

My little brother drew this tag first try. I just hate lucky people. I've applied 5 times. Google Earth doesn't do the country justice. Not big mountains but they are steep and lots of loose rock. Both slides and worse loose rocks covered by grass. He was working on a tight time line. He ended up shooting one the late the first afternoon. Not the biggest one we saw. He missed out on a bigger one screwing around with video camera. I think we saw 130 the first day. Wind blew hard 1st day and the next morning while packing it out. His shot was 490 yds. We saw one group of 80 or so at just over a 1000 yds. But it wouldn't have been right shooting with the wind conditions present.
Ibex-img_0162.jpg
Old 11-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Bronze Member

Outstanding Ibex!
Old 12-01-2013, 03:06 AM
Bronze Member

I should also add that we both used Ski pole type walking staffs. Don't know how many times they prevented slips but it was quite a few.