Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Sheep Hunting

Sheep Hunting Techniques For Sheep Hunting

Ibex

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Gold Member

Ibex

Thinking of starting to look into this hunt in NM. Anyone know if it can be done on public land? Would rather do a DIY hunt. Or if anyone knows of any free range hunts in the states, only place I can think might be TX?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Ibex

The New Mexico hunt is EXTREMELY hard to draw. I would have to check but its less than a 5% chance to draw for the rifle tag. Archery is a little better chance to draw but good luck getting close enough! I don't know of any outfitters though. With the regular rifle tag, the only place that you are allowed to hunt them is on the Florida mountains. You can actually get an OTC tag and hunt any area but the Florida Mountains but I work in all those areas and have never seen any anywhere else but on the Florida mountain area.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Gold Member

Ya found two outfitters, archery tag is like a 30% chance draw, one outfitter has been 20% success on archery hunts. Would like to find some roaming out in TX somewhere
Old 01-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Bronze Member

I cover a lot of Texas and I am not aware of any huntable numbers of free ranging ibex.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

Dennis Kauffman has an outfitter down in Sac mountains... He has a billy goat for a guide named Dennis. He is the only guy I know that has an Ibex with a bow.

Look him up and see what he says...
Mario
Old 01-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Silver Member

I live about 50 miles from the ROCK what are you looking for. Just be aware that there are going to be a significant amount of changes with hunting the FL... It has been become a zoo up there with Outfitters pushing animals by firing shots to move animals. IMO it is not a place for a rookie or someone that isn't supported somehow. Every year they pull someone off the ROCK because they get hurt. If you do come out please bring repelling gear.. I am tired of animals being shot and not being recovered because they can't get to the animal...

Not trying to be a downer but things have really gone downhill since people have found out about the hunts...

J
Old 01-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Bronze Member

Jamaro makes a good point. Admittedly I have not seen it all, but the Floridas may be the most rugged spot in North America, seriously.