Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Sheep Hunting

Sheep Hunting Techniques For Sheep Hunting

First time hunting for sheep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 08:45 PM

First time hunting for sheep

I got my first two mule deer this past hunting season. I do want to go for my sheep tag with my awesome "hunter husband". I have to brag about him. He is very focused, fills our freezer every year. We both want to try for sheep and bear.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:57 AM
Gold Member

Re: First time hunting for sheep

good luck getting a tag better start now putting for the draw in every state you can are pay the big bucks and go dall hunting.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: First time hunting for sheep

1st off welcome!

2nd, sheep require lots of time, money and patience. Time for scouting, time for long seasons, money for applications, tags, airplanes and guides. Patience for drawing a permit and patience for holding out for that special trophy.

3rd if you want instant gratification Montana has a hunt with an over the counter sheep permit. Alaska also has OTC tags but you must hire a guide or have 2nd degree kin asist you. You can hunt bighorn and stone in Canada OTC but also must have a guide and you can hunt desert bighorns in Old Mexico OTC. Of all the species, stone sheep is the most expensive because you can only find them in Canada and being subject to a guide you are at their mercy and they are merciless. It costs 50+ grand in mexico for a desert sheep which is more expensive than a stone hunt but you can draw a tag and spend fractions of the mexican hunt but at least you have options. There is only one option for stone.

Other than that if you cant afford a guided hunt in Mexico, Canada or Alaska you will be applying for a lottery drawing for a while. States to concider for applications are most of the western states. WA, ID, MT, OR, CA, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY. Not in that order.

Good luck!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.