Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Sheep Hunting

Sheep Hunting Techniques For Sheep Hunting

Drawing a sheep tag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 01:09 AM

Drawing a sheep tag

I'm new to the world of sheep hunting and I know one of the hardest parts to sheep hunting is getting the tag. I'm 25 years old now and want to draw a tag before I'm 100. Any advice on drawing? Also can a US citizen apply in Alberta or is it strictly for people that live in canada?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Drawing a sheep tag

Apply apply and apply some more. Put in for every state available. In Canada you have to buy a guided hunt period. You can also purchase a prime minister tag however for being a young 25 I'm sure you probably don't have a minimum of 250k- 500k laying around lol

Sheep hunting is a very fun addiction, the smartest thing you can do is apply. Especially at your age.

I've taken 2 Desert rams, a Dall, and Rocky. I've also taken a Gobi Argali, Transcapian Urial, and two Marco Polos. Next on the list is a Stone and High Altia Argali...need to save some more cash.

I like the adventure in sheep hunting.

Good luck!!!
Old 05-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Silver Member

Only people not good at math apply without knowing the individual states draw systems and if a tag is even possible for a guy just starting out.

Last edited by WapitiBob; 05-11-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
Only people not good at math apply without knowing the individual states draw systems and if a tag is even possible for a guy just starting out.
Ok, care to elaborate?
Old 05-15-2014, 04:18 AM
Silver Member

Just starting out you will likely never be in a top point pool so your chances at drawing will be limited to the random draws. Some states are more generous than others.
AZ allocates 20% of the total in the bonus pass but no more than 10% can go to NR. So, the first 20 tags go to those with the most points. If they don't fill the NR cap, as a NR you still have a chance but you're in the hopper with all the residents and because AZ is a bonus point state, your chances are weighted based on points. Just starting out you have few chances at a low number vs guys with 20. If Az allocates 100 tags, 20 go in the bonus round and no more than 10 will go to NR, so when you get to the 1-2 pass you only have a handful of tags available and thousands of applicants. If all 10% go in the bonus pass, there are no tags available for a NR in the 1-2 pass. There is no tag to draw.
A state that requires a license to apply wouldn't be my choice if I was only applying for sheep.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:42 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
I'm GREAT at math, in fact I'm an architect that went to Cornell University and I still apply. I think that you statement is completely ignorant. Life is full of uncertainties...but if you don't leave the house you will miss out on many expieriences.
Not trying to me rude back to you at all.

One fact, if you don't apply, you will most certainly never draw. I got my sheep tags the old fashion way (bought them)

ALL sheep tags are hard to draw. However if you bow hunt Colorado is an excellent choice. NM and Idaho are also the best odds because there are no point systems.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:43 AM
Silver Member

The point system for extremely limited tags is in my mind the single greatest injustice to big game hunters. When the point system first started in CA I was finishing up school, bought a house, newly married and a baby in the way. I had always just bought my over the counter deer tag and never put much thought in to applying for other hunts as most of them had been once in a lifetime and i knew there as no way i had the time or money to do one of those hunts justice. Several years later life settled down and I started earning points. I soon realized that being a few points behind max I will most likely never draw a tag. With 3/4 of tags only available to max point holders and there being several thousand folks in the point leves above me I will NEVER be able to draw those max tags. Not in my physically capable of sheep hunting lifetime. For my kids who are going to be 15+ years behind the curve they really have no hope under the current system. I understand some states give you one ticket in the hat for each of your points rather than hold the majority of tags for max pointers. Seems like the sane and fair way to do it.