Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Sheep Hunting

Sheep Hunting Techniques For Sheep Hunting

Dall sheep or mountain goat - which is a better hunt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Silver Member

Dall sheep or mountain goat - which is a better hunt?

In terms of country, scenery, variety of game to see and watch for pleasure, challenge...

If the price was the same, and I realize that it isn't, (with some Dall hunts costing as much as double what some goat hunts go for) which would you chose?

I looked into both hunts in 2010 but never made the decision, partly because I wanted to hunt the goat with a full winter coat and the sheep are not in season then.

I am seriously thinking I should save for a good backcountry hunt with a reputable outfitter but want to hear opinions on the respective types of hunts.

Cheers!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Dall sheep or mountain goat - which is a better hunt?

Dall Sheep would be my automatic choice. I've killed two of each and spend way more time looking at the Dall arms on my wall than the Mountain Goats. Just my opinion.....
Old 12-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member

I like sheep hunting more than goat hunting. I like sheep country better than goat country. The weather is often nicer and the terrain isn't as scary. Plus Dall sheep meat is much better than goat meat. If you shoot a goat, plan on grinding the entire thing into burger or you'll need dentures by the time you're done chewing on it. Plus the horns are more impressive.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Silver Member

It's quite obvious the Dall is the more impressive trophy, I'm interested in hearing how the hunts differ, which chase is more fun.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member

Both hunts get you above treeline, hunting in the wide open spaces in the mountains. So both hunts are scenic and there are few pesky insects above treeline. Goats are often is harsher mountain terrain than sheep, which can become more hazardous to one's health and well being. The goat hunt might be a bit more physically challenging. Goats seem to live in their own world, oblivious to their surroundings. Sheep are more alert. Being in decent physical shape is a big advantage no matter which animal you hunt. If you're going on a guided hunt, you'll still need to get yourself around in the mountains, but the guide will be a big help in getting the game back to the lowland camp.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

I don't have a sheep, but I have seen them on other hunts. Horseback for moose/caribou in NWT we saw several rams. I treasure my small billy above the rest of my trophies as it took collectively 30 years.
I'd book the Dall sheep in an area, that has goats available on a trophy fee, and add on if things broke my way. I know folks that have done this. A horseback style sheep hunt can cover a lot of ground, and you'll see other game as well as interesting part of the world.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Gold Member

Iam going to BC for goat in 2013, if am successful then it is stone or dall, but mtn goat been on my bucket list for years