Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Sheep Hunting

Sheep Hunting Techniques For Sheep Hunting

Best State for a Sheep Tag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2008, 12:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsepeak View Post
There are a couple of units in Montana that are over the counter for sheep, but the units are on a quota and are very rugged. Also the sheep are few and far between in those units, but they do get some good rams out of them. That's the cheapest way to hunt sheep, just buy the license and put in for the drawing but put in the units that have over the counter tags, and then after the drawing you just have to purchase the tag, and you are on your way.
the units that norsepeak talks of in Montana are not really over the counter but are called "unlimited" because anyone can purchase a licence through the draw for these units. If 200 people buy these tags and there is a quota of 2 sheep for the unit all 200 people must call in every night to Montana FWP to see if the quota has been filled. the tags cost $785 that is very reasonable, but the "unlimited" tags are for the most part in the worst areas with the fewest sheep. there is one "unlimited" area that a Ram has not been harvested in 2 years. put in on the normal draw and wait it out.
UB
Old 05-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleB View Post
the units that norsepeak talks of in Montana are not really over the counter but are called "unlimited" because anyone can purchase a licence through the draw for these units. If 200 people buy these tags and there is a quota of 2 sheep for the unit all 200 people must call in every night to Montana FWP to see if the quota has been filled. the tags cost $785 that is very reasonable, but the "unlimited" tags are for the most part in the worst areas with the fewest sheep. there is one "unlimited" area that a Ram has not been harvested in 2 years. put in on the normal draw and wait it out.
UB
Very few people put in for those tags for a number of reasons. The terrain is really rugged and access is poor. People hike like 20 miles over nasty stuff to get to where those sheep are. The genetics are not that great either and I wouldn't think you would end up shooting a really big one. I think less than 20 people bought those tags in recent years and the quota was 4 if I remember correctly. The district I put in for this year has 1% odds but I have several preference points. It has great genetics and big rams. For an out of stater it's not too terribly expensive to put in for Montana, certainly better than most of the western states. If you do draw it'll cost you.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

As troutslayer mentioned, Montana is a great state to apply for sheep tags. Just make sure you don't apply for the second choice or you could end up getting a ewe tag!

For a non-res, the fee is just shy of $800 but you will get all but about $40 back if you don't draw. The only downside is Montana requires a cashier's check or money order. No credit cards. Also, once you put in, you can only miss two or three years before they will erase your points so you are kind of "locked in" to coming up with around $800 every year until you draw.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:25 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the additional guidance!

I've drawn several elk/deer combo tags in MT over the years and they usually let people apply by 'puter and credit card (for a small "convenience fee"). I wonder if they've changed the money order rule on sheep?

In any event, I'll have to give MT some thought.

I appreciate everyone's help.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best State for a Sheep Tag?

It aint Colorado. Hell we draw for DOE TAGS here in this state.

NRA Life Member
Old 10-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip-co View Post
It aint Colorado. Hell we draw for DOE TAGS here in this state.
Colorado is hands down the worst state for a non- resident sheep tag.
UB
Old 10-18-2008, 12:47 PM

ya montana sucks with the money order, this thread reminds me i never got a refund and i think i sent in over 2 grand.........kind of scary