Sheep Hunting Techniques For Sheep Hunting

Aoudad/Barbary Sheep???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 01:58 AM
Silver Member

Re: Aoudad/Barbary Sheep???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Academy View Post
Great ram and great shot! Very nice looking rifle also. Did you use the 175 SMK? I have taken 4 rams, most about 27"-28", nothing as big as what you shot! Thay guy is a hog!
Thanks Capt. I am not sure I understand your question. I shoot a custom loaded round. The bullet is a Berger 30 cal 175 gr Match Hunting VLD. Website for it is below.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/Product...20Bullets.html

I would encourage anyone to try an aoudad hunt sometime. I have never been hunting for big horn sheep, but I imagine that it is very much the same. Perhaps less expensive as well. The link below should take you to a pretty good discussion on hunting tips, etc. Bunch of us guys were just coming up with strategies and sharing ideas on trying to get a leg up on them. Its a long read, but may prove to be useful.

Aoudad Hunting

Last edited by Texas Republic; 08-26-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

there are some up here in the panhandle also, around the palo duro canyon.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

New Mexico has them too.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Bronze Member

I have an auodad hunt booked for this coming Feb. 2011 in the Palo Dura Canyon area with Toby Joe truby as a guide. But, I am conflicted as to which rifle I want to hunt them with. I have a Rem. 700 Mountain rifle chambered in 260AI. I load 130 gr. Bergers that group great @ 100 yds. and shoot even great groups out to 500 yds. This 260AI was built by Darrel Holland in Powers, Oregon. Great shooter and I am very confident in its' abilities. I have taken many antelope and deer with this rifle. I have posted this question on other websites only to be advised to take a larger caliber rifle. Now, I do have a Rem. 700 SPS in 300WSM that I load 180 gr. accubonds. This I took to South Africa to take 5 plainsgame animals. All 1 shot kills. It does shoot well to 300 yds. Beyond that I have little confidence. It is not a recoil issue. That has never been an issue with me. I am looking for input and opinions as to which rifle you all think would be most suitable for Barbary Sheep. Thanks in advance for all help in this request. MTG
Old 09-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTGunner View Post
I have an auodad hunt booked for this coming Feb. 2011 in the Palo Dura Canyon area with Toby Joe truby as a guide. But, I am conflicted as to which rifle I want to hunt them with. I have a Rem. 700 Mountain rifle chambered in 260AI. I load 130 gr. Bergers that group great @ 100 yds. and shoot even great groups out to 500 yds. This 260AI was built by Darrel Holland in Powers, Oregon. Great shooter and I am very confident in its' abilities. I have taken many antelope and deer with this rifle. I have posted this question on other websites only to be advised to take a larger caliber rifle. Now, I do have a Rem. 700 SPS in 300WSM that I load 180 gr. accubonds. This I took to South Africa to take 5 plainsgame animals. All 1 shot kills. It does shoot well to 300 yds. Beyond that I have little confidence. It is not a recoil issue. That has never been an issue with me. I am looking for input and opinions as to which rifle you all think would be most suitable for Barbary Sheep. Thanks in advance for all help in this request. MTG

I would take the 260AI. Aoudad country is very rugged and every ounce counts and the 130 Berger will perform just fine.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Silver Member

i wanted so bad to hunt Aoudad while i lived in TX, but it just never happened..They look awesome.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:06 AM
Silver Member

Easy decision IMO. If they are free range aoudad in their natural habitat, you will likely only have one good shot at them. However, the most important reason you stated yourself. "I have taken many antelope and deer with this rifle." I would take a rifle I was familiar with and confident in hunting over any larger caliber you were unsure of. Shot placement is the key. If I remember right, the best place to shoot an aoudad is the upper shoulder area, a tad bit higher where you would normally shoot a deer. Its either a tad bit higher..or a tad bit lower than where you would shoot a deer. I think its higher though.

Here is a link to a good post that discusses all kinds of things which are helpful in hunting them. Aoudad

Last edited by Texas Republic; 09-16-2010 at 02:10 AM.