Sheep Hunting Techniques For Sheep Hunting

Aoudad/Barbary Sheep???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Aoudad/Barbary Sheep???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Republic View Post
Hey Broz. You say you shot a "free range" aoudad near San Antonio??? As in.. a wild aoudad?

Yes. It was a friends ranch south west of San Antonio about an hour. No guide, no tall fences, no fees...

I took a couple nice Axis and a great Black Buck too. Those axis are darn tastey.

Jeff
Old 08-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Silver Member

No problem.

Shot two of them. The other is somewhat smaller and is in the bottom right corner of pic. I think he was 28 inches.

Stalked them from on top of another mountain with the wind in my favor. I spotted from the upper edges of one mountain to another mountain across the canyon. They will smell you a LONG ways off. They graze along bluffs usually with the wind coming from their back that way they can smell what comes from behind and see ahead.

They were on the side of the mountain grazing with a small herd. The one in the picture ranged 500 yards from shot setup. Dropped him with one shot to the shoulder. The other one in the bottom right of the pic then began to run up the mountain to higher ground. Missed on my first shot at about 520. I dropped him at around 540 with a shot in the lungs.

The rifle is a DPMS LR-308 with a 24" fluted barrel.
-Magpul butt-stock with mono-pod attachment
- Custom trigger- 14 ounce pull
- Burris Fullfield II 14x scope with ballistic plex reticle+ Tac turrets installed
-Shooting custom load Berger .308 175gr. Match Hunting VLD

The pics below aren't where I hunt aoudad at, but I thought they were pretty cool. The first one is kind of like the bluffs I am talking about. The second one is just an awesome place to shoot from. Its like a driving range.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Yes. It was a friends ranch south west of San Antonio about an hour. No guide, no tall fences, no fees...

I took a couple nice Axis and a great Black Buck too. Those axis are darn tastey.

Jeff

Yeah. Axis is great to eat. Well you didn't do a single thing wrong IMO, but those aoudad were definitely transported down there from somewhere. I am sure they escaped or something. They can jump six feet up from a stand still. No joke. Im from that region of Texas, and I dont think there are a lot of mountains in that part of Texas. I could be wrong though. People buy and sell them for exotic ranches all the time though. Good kill though.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the details. Awesome looking country.

Stu
Old 08-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Silver Member

Thanks. Like big horns probably, one of the hardest thing about hunting free range aoudad is the terrain. They def have the upper hand
Old 08-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Gold Member

Nice rams. I have always wanted to hunt those but not in a fence. Some day
Old 08-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Great ram and great shot! Very nice looking rifle also. Did you use the 175 SMK? I have taken 4 rams, most about 27"-28", nothing as big as what you shot! Thay guy is a hog!