Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Sheep Hunting

Sheep Hunting Techniques For Sheep Hunting

Alaskan Dall Sheep - 210 Berger VLD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: Alaskan Dall Sheep - 210 Berger VLD

What no one has tried the SMK's?

How bout this. Has anybody tried GS Custom bullets or Cutting edge bullets for the 30 cal. ?
Old 04-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Bronze Member

Awesome animal Congradulations.I also shoot the bergers in my 300 win mag 185's with 74 gr h4350 at 2900 fps. I was in sw texas 3 weeks ago aoudad hunting on the 4 day I finally found a shooter ram the shot was at a mere 250 yards and my spotter called my first two shots misses when in fact they were both tight behind the shoulder with no signs of a hit i noticed blood out the mouth so i waited on him [60 yards ] to tip over. There was no expansion on either side with broken ribs. So im looking again had the same thing happen with a barnes last year on a aoudad with a 180 gr. Dead is dead however i expect more than pencil holes. Again awesom Dall.
Jeff~
Old 04-23-2011, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH300UM View Post
Anyone on this thread ever tried the 30cal SMK's?
240 SMK's - 2 elk (450 and 60 yds) and 1 deer at about 100. Tremendous big bone breaking and soft tissue damage on closer elk and deer. Not as much expansion as I'd like to see on the two shots on the 450 yd elk, but drt pretty fast. It's still the goto lrh bullet for many that shoot 30 cal.

Berger needs to make a 220ish grain .308 for us! --Eric???

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Gold Member

I am no expert but Dall Sheep are thin skinned and light boned. Why would you expect a 210 grain bullet and think it should have opened up. 2 years ago I got to hunt doe antelope before I started my elk hunt. I used my 300 wsm with 180gr TSX and knew it would just poke thru. When it came to my 12 year old 6x6 bull my first shot was low and back and he still bedded within sight allowing me to follow up with a better shot. My 500# black bear was on a dead run when I shot him thru both shoulders 138 yards, he flipped head over butt dead.
I think a lot of people are not following Barne's directions to hunt with a lighter grain to let the copper open up.
Used the 80gr TTSX on my buck antelope this past fall and at 284 yards it destroyed the lungs and hear, shredded mess. This year Ive dropped down to the 165 gr TTSX for my Elk/Bear 1st season hunt and 2nd season mule deer.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalebow View Post
I am no expert but Dall Sheep are thin skinned and light boned. Why would you expect a 210 grain bullet and think it should have opened up. 2 years ago I got to hunt doe antelope before I started my elk hunt. I used my 300 wsm with 180gr TSX and knew it would just poke thru. When it came to my 12 year old 6x6 bull my first shot was low and back and he still bedded within sight allowing me to follow up with a better shot. My 500# black bear was on a dead run when I shot him thru both shoulders 138 yards, he flipped head over butt dead.
I think a lot of people are not following Barne's directions to hunt with a lighter grain to let the copper open up.
Used the 80gr TTSX on my buck antelope this past fall and at 284 yards it destroyed the lungs and hear, shredded mess. This year Ive dropped down to the 165 gr TTSX for my Elk/Bear 1st season hunt and 2nd season mule deer.
Dropping down in grain weight and using a harder bullet ups the percentage of shots that will deflect. I've shot a pile of elk and shooting 168gr Barnes TSX caught up to me twice with deflections on shoulder shots before dropping them for a bullet that works better.
A lot of guys don't take Barnes advice cause it bits you in the butt!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-13-2011, 03:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalebow View Post
I am no expert but Dall Sheep are thin skinned and light boned. Why would you expect a 210 grain bullet and think it should have opened up.
Because the Berger Hunting VLDs have a paper thin copper jacket, and the bullet impacted this ram at about 2480 fps, based on the 355 yd distance. Berger says their bullets will expand down to around 1800 fps. This bullet impacted this ram at a velocity approximately 700 fps faster than Berger's recommended minimum expansion velocity. And the width of this ram would be a good 15". Plenty of width for bullet expansion.

Berger says their bullets penetrate 3-4" and then all hell breaks loose. I say - most of the time.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:09 PM

I have enjoyed this thread and congratulation on an awesome trophy and hunt. I just joined a few days ago. This thread interest me a lot as I have a 300 mag and am considering a build or purchase of an all weather .300 WM as a "carry-into-the-mountains" hunting rifle and would love to hunt sheep one day. On top of this I have been seriously considering the Berger 185 gr hunting VLD bullet. I have so far been using Hornady SSTs and SPBT (180 grs) but thought the step up to the VLDs (with its higher BC) would give flatter trajectory and higher RE out at 400-500 yards.

However, I am an ethical hunter and do not like the experiences with the VLDs that have been related here. I notice on another thread on this forum (see Hornady A-MAx Bullets - any good for hunting?) that there are generally positive reports that the A-Max performs well as a hunting bullet.

So I am now considering instead:

• the 178 gr A-Max, my ballistics software tells me that this bullet is not far behind the 185 VLD in performance out to 500 yds (but a 300 WM should have performance to spare on this type of game)
  • the 208 gr A-Max, performance on paper is equal (or slightly better) in most respects to the 210 gr VLD to 500 yds and beyond

Last edited by Mountain Hunter; 10-14-2011 at 03:42 PM.