Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Sheep Hunting

Sheep Hunting Techniques For Sheep Hunting

Alaskan Dall Sheep - 210 Berger VLD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Alaskan Dall Sheep - 210 Berger VLD

The unique thing about hunting sheep is that their always in area's where Grizzly Bears live... Anybody ever shot a Grizzly Bear with a target bullet... Life is fulled with compromise's .. Bad thing about Grizzly Bears is sometime you run across one that ....
Old 10-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

In addition to my long range loads, which may consist of a fragile jacketed target style bullet, I load and carry what I call 'bear loads' or 'camp loads' with all of my rifles. They consist of Nosler Accubonds or Barnes TSX bullets, which are loaded in the magazine at virtually all times, other than when I shoot at my target animal. Then I empty the magazine and load single shot style for any long range encounters.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Bronze Member

Thats an awesome trophy and I am drooling. I was going to ask some questions but previous posts answered them for me. Thanks for the post.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
In addition to my long range loads, which may consist of a fragile jacketed target style bullet, I load and carry what I call 'bear loads' or 'camp loads' with all of my rifles. They consist of Nosler Accubonds or Barnes TSX bullets, which are loaded in the magazine at virtually all times, other than when I shoot at my target animal. Then I empty the magazine and load single shot style for any long range encounters.
I see you've got it covered...no big suprise.

You guys up there in AK...say you were shooting an EDGE or Lap with the 300SMK. Would you have a separate 'bear'/'camp' load or not? Just curious.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

I should have mentioned: My bear/camp loads are also employed on short range encounters with game animals, when they fall in my lap. I don't spend near as much time fine tuning and developing these camps loads, as the accuracy required to kill an large game animal out to ~300 yards is generally a gimme - not difficult to accomplish with almost any bullet and load combination.

I've never shot a game animal with the 300gr SMK, so I'll be interested to hear any additional responses to your question.

I do own a .338 Imperial Magnum - well I did own one. Kirby reworked it to a .338 Edge. They're virtually identical. The shoulder on the Edge is move forward maybe an extra 0.030" for very slightly greater case capacity. I'll be hunting Kodiak bear next spring. I've used the 225 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw to dispatch two brown bears on prior hunts with the former .338 Imperial. Their affect on these two animals was devastating. One very large boar (squared 10' 5") was killed outright with a broadside shot through the ribs behind both front shoulders at a distance of ~130 yds. That bear never so much as let out a twitch of movement - other than to collapse. The other bear was already wounded and trying to escape. One shot to the same location incapacitated this bear. He never regained all fours - and that was with the adrenaline pumping 100%. As a result of the experiences on these two mature boars, at this time I believe I'll be carrying some 225 Trophy Bonded Bear Claws on the upcoming Spring 2011 brown bear hunt.

I find myself using the 300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, and .280 RCBS Improved for my non-brown bear hunts. So I can't speak with any experience on use of the 300gr SMKs.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Great ram and pics. Wow. COngrats on doin it at 55yo. Them VLD's is great for poking paper at xtreem ranges, but they're not really much of a hunting-designed bullet. Shoulda used some green box Rems or Win Silvertips.

NRA Life Member
Old 10-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Paul,

I know we dont always see eye to eye on this forum but who cares? That is an awesome ram. Congrats on a gorgeous specimen.

If you are unhappy with the Berger, concider the 208 AMAX. It is on the opposite end of the spectrum. Sometimes too much expansion. On a sheep though, they are just fine. As with any bullet, they wont drop a ram in it's tracks unless you hit spine or two shoulders but they will tear the living daylights out of the lungs if you choose to lung them.

I have skunked out on rams 2 years in a row now. It is my own fault, I have passed on rams both years. If the one I passed this year survives, he may be worth shooting next year. If not, then the Alaska Range is my next stop. I have always wanted at least one Alaska Range ram. They have horn characteristics that I love.

Congrats again,

M
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.