Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Swap A Hunt

Caribou Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Caribou Hunt

Not really a swap, just wondered if anybody was up for a caribou hunt this year around the last two weeks of August. I am trying to get my hunts together for this year and thinking about shooting some caribou to get me tuned in for all the Wyoming and Colorado stuff. I may drive up and shoot a few if 2-3 guys want to go. Must be in shape for a backpack hunt. It can be a tough hunt depending on where the caribou are.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Caribou Hunt

I might be. I was planning on going archery elk hunting again at that time but do not have any money invested in it yet. Where would we be hunting?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
I might be. Where would we be hunting?
How much time are you looking to be gone total? Have you been up there before or have any contacts in the area you are considering? What part of Wyoming are you from?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Have been hunting Alaska for about 30 years. I am in Thermopolis, Wy. You can see pictures of last years hunt down in the Alaska hunting area and further down this swap section in offshore fishing. Also my sheep from last year is in the sheep section and Grizzly in the bear section. Didn't moose hunt last year but got some trophy pictures of some 65+ inchers. I just found some older pictures I didn't know I had. We had a house fire and I lost everything but these were in my gun shop and I didn't know it. I will post those this week. I have taken several moose in the 60's with the two biggest being 72". My biggest caribou was 456 with several B&C class through the years. I have taken well over 50 caribou and counting the ones taken by people who have gone with me would be a few hundred probably. I know the area as well as anybody and can usually find some caribou to shoot at.

About seven to ten days hunting will usually do the trick.I backpack in and save the airfare however I know some pilots up there that can put you right on them for about $1500 per person in a super cub if you don't want to backpack. Just send me a private message and I will give you some details and what I am thinking about for this year. Thanks for the interest from both of you.

Last edited by Long Time Long Ranger; 04-06-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Silver Member

Hey Don,

It looks like you are gearing up again to go up north. I am going to start going to school on aug. 22 I would love to head up there again with you. Let me know the exact dates and see if we can work somthing out. I will call you tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds good, no dates set, I am very flexible. I have got to be back by September 1st for the Colorado bowhunt and Wyoming antelope. Because of the bugs I was looking as close to the end of August as possible. We about got ate alive early in August last year. Maybe you can find another big bull that is half moose with a nice 48" moose rack on bottom and a caribou rack on top. Those were the most amazing bottoms I have ever seen.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
Sounds good, no dates set, I am very flexible. I have got to be back by September 1st for the Colorado bowhunt and Wyoming antelope. Because of the bugs I was looking as close to the end of August as possible. We about got ate alive early in August last year. Maybe you can find another big bull that is half moose with a nice 48" moose rack on bottom and a caribou rack on top. Those were the most amazing bottoms I have ever seen.
Yea if I can top that bull this year that would be amazing. I would like to go towards the end of august like we did last year but this year would be tough for school. I remember those bugs can get bad but, bugs or no bugs we need to kill some booners.