Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Waterfowl Hunting

Waterfowl Hunting Techniques For Duck and Goose Hunting

Winchester chokes and black cloud

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

Winchester chokes and black cloud

I picked up a 3" win sx shotgun. It only came with a full choke. Im not positive on this but I assume a person shouldn't use the full chokes with black cloud. I am going to shoot 3" bc bb, I already have a pile of it from last season.
My question is what choke is reccomended for this round. My local dealer has some of the signature inv plus chokes on hand. What would be a good one to start with, mod, imp cyl. I will be hunting honkers and snow/blues. Thanks everyone
Old 07-27-2014, 12:10 AM

Re: Winchester chokes and black cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwackr View Post
I picked up a 3" win sx shotgun. It only came with a full choke. Im not positive on this but I assume a person shouldn't use the full chokes with black cloud. I am going to shoot 3" bc bb, I already have a pile of it from last season.
My question is what choke is reccomended for this round. My local dealer has some of the signature inv plus chokes on hand. What would be a good one to start with, mod, imp cyl. I will be hunting honkers and snow/blues. Thanks everyone

Briley makes a good waterfowl choke, but my favorite is a Pattern Master. It's a steel full choke, I have run everything from BBB to 7 through it with fantastic patterns. I've been around a lot of them, and most all were consistent and impressive.

Nothing like pillow casing birds, I hate cripples.

If you do get a quality aftermarket waterfowl choke, pick up some factory steel shells with some speed in about #3 shot sometime and try them. I doubt you will pay for BC again unless you are pass shooting at great distance. Hand loaded all my waterfowl shells for years and quit because I got very acceptable performance out of a good choke and kent fast steel and it was cheeper.

There's my .02 for what its worth.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

I use trulock chokes with black cloud...I use maybe 1.5 to 2 cases of shells each year. For the extra $80 or so per case for Black Cloud I think it is well worth it. What used to be a cripple is now dead, or at least can't swim off.

We hunt flooded corn so early season and even late season in the thicker parts, if a bird can swim it can easily be lost, even with 1 or 2 dogs with us.

Had a friend convert after seeing my results for a season.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:25 PM
Gold Member

Whackr, I have a Patternmaster on my Benelli that is lights out. Patternmaster makes a choke specifically for Black Cloud and the Winchester SX. Check out their website. Good luck
Old 08-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Silver Member

I like the Trulock 'Precision Hunter' choke. Do some research to pick your desired constriction.