Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Waterfowl Hunting

Waterfowl Hunting Techniques For Duck and Goose Hunting

Ultimate Long Range Waterfowl Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Silver Member

Ultimate Long Range Waterfowl Rig

What are your thoughts? The bar none best combo between gun, choke tube and shell?

I would go with:

Browning Gold 10 Lite 28" Barrel
Patternmaster extended range
HeviShot BBB 3-1/2"

I have a few friends that run ten gauges religiously for geese and well we shot 41 between 4 of us last Saturday (limit of 15 each).
Old 09-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Ultimate Long Range Waterfowl Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by webs View Post
What are your thoughts? The bar none best combo between gun, choke tube and shell?

I would go with:

Browning Gold 10 Lite 28" Barrel
Patternmaster extended range
HeviShot BBB 3-1/2"

I have a few friends that run ten gauges religiously for geese and well we shot 41 between 4 of us last Saturday (limit of 15 each).
BOOM $2 BOOM $2 BOOM$2

I've found that I really like shooting the black cloud snow goose FS 3" BB modified choke out of my browning Maxus 28" barrel. That stuff seems to whack stuff pretty good at a decent range. Although I usually try to find it on sale by the case when I can because its not cheap either.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Silver Member

I have shot quite a bit of 2 and bbb regular black cloud and I liked it quite a bit. I have gotten cheap lately and and am using Fiocchi's right now. For the price they seem to be fairly good quality.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Banned

1187 supermag,cheapest 3.5 bb ammo I can get and I still kill twice as many birds as my friends with high dollar rigs and hevishot. learn to shoot and forget about the fancy chokes and high dollar ammo.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:59 PM

I have been a Fiocchi fan for quite some time myself. Can't seem to find any as of late. I have enough stocked up for this season but I will be in a bind before next year with any luck on a good year.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:02 PM
Bronze Member

26" remington sp10 AGI custom extended choke tube .720. 1 1/2oz of BBB pushed to 1500fps by a generous amount of steel powder in a ballistic products steel wad ignited by a fed 209 and a rem hull works like a champ. 90%+ patterns @ 50yds on a 30" circle. A little too much for teal (they end up on the inedible side)
Old 12-19-2014, 10:53 PM
Silver Member

I have quite a bit of BB Hevi Shot. The only time I shoot it is during snow goose season when the birds are hanging up at 75 - 85 yds right over the spread. Otherwise Hevi Shot is a waste of money. If you can't kill birds with steel, you need to work on yer shooting abilities. One thing most folks overlook on chokes is they're not standardized on their constriction. What I always recommend is to pick up several extended chokes. Briley is my favorite. I bulged a Pattermaster years ago and it never pattered worth a crap anyway. Whatever loads you plan on using, take them out and pattern them in a 30" circle at whatever yardages you plan to shoot at. Tom Roster puts a pellet guide on how many pellets are needed in a 30" circle at varying yardages. If yer gun doesn't pattern worth a crap, you'll need to try different chokes or loads. If a gun doesn't pattern properly, you'll never hit crap no matter how good of a shot you are.