Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Waterfowl Hunting

Waterfowl Hunting Techniques For Duck and Goose Hunting

Need a new Semi Auto shotgun!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Need a new Semi Auto shotgun!

There are several good shotguns available and I have owned most brands and liked all of them
for one reason or another but they all had some flaws that I had to deal with.

I started hunting with a shotgun in the early 60s and tried every style and brand that I could
and ended up preferring over and unders.

When the feds forced us to go to steel shot the rules changed and I went to a 3 1/2 10gauge
side by side for geese and larger but it was two cumbersome for ducks and went hunting most
of the time with a 3" o/u .

There were times that I wished I had my 10 gauge but didn't have it, so I started looking for
a lighter shotgun for all round use and found that all of the 3 1/2" autos were 3" guns that
had been modified to take 3 1/2 " shells.

And then I found an Extrema 1 and right off saw that it was purpose built for the 3 1/2" shells
(It had a much larger reciever).

I had to try it especially after I was told that it would shoot anything from a 2 1/2" 1oz trap
load to a 2 1/4oz 3 1/2" turkey load without any changes in the shotgun.

To say I was sceptical would be an under statement, so I set out to find out if it was BS or not.

I loaded everything from a 7/8oz trap load all the way to the Max 2 1/4 oz 3 1/2" turkey in
the mag in no particular order and shot some clays with my son throwing them and the
Extrema 1 functioned perfectly every time, no matter what shell I fed it.

So now I finally have a shot gun that truly is an all round weapon and can be used for every
thing that I want to hunt with it.

For upland birds I still use my 2 1/4 " o/u because I like carrying it open.

But for Extreme (Hence the name) hunting I allways grab the Extrema and lots of different
ammo just in case I run into a bad/mad pig or just some little snipes I know I am prepaired
for anything.

The only downside that some may feel the Extrema has is the size (It is large).

I hope I have not bored anyone but a long explanation was nessary to point out the reason
that it would be my first choice over a lot of fine shotguns.

So I guess you know what my recommendation will be.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Gold Member

Just traded my older SX2 for a new SBE and love it.

SBE is my vote but I have not shot the Beretta....
Old 02-20-2011, 04:39 PM

I have shot a SBE 3 1/2 inch for 15 years...NO PROBLEM. Don't like the position of the safety on the Extrema but a nice gun. The Vinchi is now being made in 3 1/2 inch. You don't need a 3 1/2 inch gun to shoot ducks but it's nice on geese plus if you ever want to see it it's mord marketable. By the Benelli you'll love it.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

I am going to be honest. I own a brand new Super Black Eagle 2. My buddy let me shoot his Browning Maxus. All I can say is I WISH I would have gotten the Maxus. It is so sturdy and light, with modest recoil, even with the 3.5" shells.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Gold Member

Ended up getting the maxus and couldn't be happier!!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 AM

Good choice. I just bought one (Maxus 3.5" in bottomland camo) for my grandson and he loves it. He has only used it to shoot clay targets so far. But with waterfowl season just around the corner, he'll get a chance to put some heavier loads through it.

My grandson is only fourteen so this gun works well for his length-of-pull...it's shorter than any of the other waterfowl guns I own (Citori's and Xtrema2's). The gun came with a spacer so I can lengthen the stock when the time comes.

And just for the record, SBE II's aren't as indestructable as others might lead you to believe. I have family and friends who shoot them and they ALL have problems with them. They all shoot over a hundred ducks/geese a year, so their guns get exercised. However when they use a guide to hunt geese, they carry a backup gun in case their SBE II malfunctions.

My nephew (who owns a SBE II) hunts with me often and experiences problems with his gun quite a bit. Now I grant you that he is hard on equipment, but a person should not have the problems he does out of a $1,500+ gun.

Just my $0.02. I think you made a good choice...happy hunting.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Silver Member

I would stay with a pump. dont know when you are going fall in the mud. Not bragging here but I got 2 win 1200 & 1300 I beat the **** out of thies guns and still keep going no bull here I have loaded rounds and seen weeds catails go in and go out after shooting.