Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Waterfowl Hunting

Waterfowl Hunting Techniques For Duck and Goose Hunting

Need a new Semi Auto shotgun!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Gold Member

Need a new Semi Auto shotgun!

I have been looking around the past couple weeks for a new auto loading shotgun and have come across a few that catch my eye. The Browning Maxus is one, the Bretta Extreme II is another and my favorite so far is the Benelli Super Black Eagle II. This will be my first auto loading shotgun and would love some advice.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:10 AM
Gold Member

Re: Need a new Semi Auto shotgun!

It all depends on what you want. If low recoil is important I would go with the Extrema (I or II) or AL391. If you are looking for a no BS gun that works no matter what go with the Benelli.

My wife shoots an AL391 and, with a couple add-ons, she can shoot it all day long. I shoot a Benelli SBE and I love it. It has never failed me and I have had to use it as a boat paddle before and it didn't miss a beat.

Don't get caught up on wanting to shoot 3 1/2" shells (if you are that is). I have hunted ducks and geese from NC to WY and have never had to shoot the shoulder breaker shells to kill anything.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 08-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Gold Member

I went out shooting with both the extrema II and the Benelli SBE I and i just preferred the SBE because it felt smoother, cycled a little bit faster. Im not too worried about recoil at the moment. and im not going out to buy a gun just because of the 3 1/2" shells. I will probably load more 3" then anything. Everyone says if im looking for a gun with no recoil then the Extrema II is the gun. Yet Benelli clams the SBE II is the softest kicking shotgun in the world? why is that.

Is the recoil on the Benelli actually that bad. Like i have an older winchester Model 1200 i believe (pump). My dad has some sort of older winchester that is a Bolt. I have a single shot that is a brake barrel. I have shot everything from SSG's, Slugs, BB, BBB, field shots, target loads, turkey loads in all of them. There all 2 3/4" shells. I also shoot my buddy's pump which is a 3" shotgun and i have shot all the same loads minus the Turkey loads in it. Will the recoil of the Benelli actually be worse then the pumps and brake barrels or just compared to the Beretta?

Last edited by matt_3479; 08-17-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Gold Member

With my Benelli and my wife's AL391 I added a recoil reducer up front and weight in the stock. The extra weight made the guns balance better and took a lot of recoil out. My Benelli has a hard time cycling light target loads. That doesn't matter to me, steel shot is the only thing I shoot with it.

The felt recoil greatly depends on your size. For example, I am 5'10" and 190 lbs and my wife is 5'7" and 145 lbs. She can shoot my Benelli but her AL391 is more comfortable for her. In the next few years I'll have to buy a gas operated shotgun because of my back and shoulder injuries. Once that happens I'll probably go with a 20 ga 391 for ducks in the timber and a 12 ga 391 for geese and river ducks.

You will see a huge difference in recoil between a pump and an auto loader. Once you get used to an auto loader the pumps will kick the snot out of you.

Bottom line, get the gun that fits you and is the most comfortable.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 08-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Silver Member

browning is hard to beat for reliability and comfort,i use a 1929 browning A5 lite and it has never ever let me down.but then its a plainjane without all the vacum cleaner attachments
Old 08-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

I've got a Extrema I. Doves, quail, turkey, geese, ducks. Smokes them all. Recoil isn't an issue and I Imagine that it is about the same for each gun mentioned. 6 of one kind and half dozen of another. I think the beretta is more reliable b.c of gas recoil and not inertia.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Bronze Member

Obviously by my call name I may be a bit partial but I will give you my honest review on each that you mentioned.

Extrema-1. I had 0 problems. I bought it when it first came out. absolutly loved that gun but was a bit big for smaller shooters.
Extrema-2. I now have 2 of these. one with KO and one without. It is the same action and eveything as the first just a little thinner in the grips which makes it a little better to shoot. All 3 of my extremas will shoot 7/8oz load all the way to 2-1/4 was the heaviest I tried.
SBE-2. Great gun, lighter feeling but number wise it is not much. easier for smaller guys. kicks like a mule though. 1-1/8oz+ shoot fine
Browning. Haven't shot the maxus but I have a Gold 10. My best friend sold his gold 12 to buy the sbe2. the gold is junk. both of our guns after a year became better boat anchors than shotguns. will not buy another. 1-1/8oz+ shoot but there is a good chance the gun will turn into a single shot pretty quick.
Super x2 is the same way, not sure about the super x3.

Not sure if you have looked into the Vinci since you are not worried about 3.5s but there is one on SnipersHide.com for $950.

hoped this helped some.