Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Waterfowl Hunting

Waterfowl Hunting Techniques For Duck and Goose Hunting

Layout boats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Gold Member

Layout boats

Does anyone have a layout boat .....Im looking at one called the Marsh Rat. In Nevada there is a lot of open low cover areas that demand the use of one, with out it you have no way to hunt.

G
Old 08-14-2013, 05:09 AM
Silver Member

Re: Layout boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
Does anyone have a layout boat .....Im looking at one called the Marsh Rat. In Nevada there is a lot of open low cover areas that demand the use of one, with out it you have no way to hunt.

G
Greg,
Marsh Rats are more of a swamp/ marsh boat being able to paddle. Some have used them as layout boats but I would not. As a matter of fact the majority of everything read or heard about that brand has been bad and would not trust my life with them. I have owned MoMarsh boats and found them to be stable as hell and disappear in cover or open areas with raffia grass and burlap (look like a beaver hut). Another great choice is Aqua Pod I believe there based in N.W. Oregon or Washington. A Carltson (sp?) pintail is a very nice boat to. All of these are easy to paddle and hide well. Momarsh and aqua pod both have factory made doors available that function like a layout blind to hide ya. A true layout boat will not paddle but is a option if you run it out of a big jon boat transport to your hunt area. Then just slip a camo cover over it with straps for Raffia grass and burlap.

Gene
Old 08-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Gold Member

Gene

I really appreciate your info, Momarsh i have not heard of I have looked into the Aqua Pod. I will check out Momarsh. The aqua pods you can paddle like a kyake.
In Nevada we have lots of areas that with out a layout boat you do more watching duck than shooting. The few guys that have them do really really well.
Im getting tired of shooting Teal and Shovlers, my goal is to kill 7 Mallard Drakes this fall and winter and a layout boat is the only way that will happen

G
Old 02-14-2014, 08:54 PM

I might be a little late but the best lay out boats are made by Bankes Boats, I have the 2 Man Revolution and I use it on the open ocean shooting everything from puddles to sea ducks, geese. They sell several and I recommend them, Btw I'm a waterfowl guide
In Mass. Just my 2c.