Waterfowl Hunting Techniques For Duck and Goose Hunting

I just cant eat this.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I just cant eat this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Bear meat is the only one that I have not been able to cook to "MY" taste.

J E CUSTOM
Canned bear meat makes good stew meat. Improved the flavor of the bear meat, IMO. I hear it helps to feed bears donuts and pastries for a couple weeks before shooting them. But I always eat the pastries before I can feed them to the bears.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Canned bear meat makes good stew meat. Improved the flavor of the bear meat, IMO. I hear it helps to feed bears donuts and pastries for a couple weeks before shooting them. But I always eat the pastries before I can feed them to the bears.

I hear you !!! good one.

I have heard that champagne does the same thing but It goes good with the donuts to.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Gold Member

Couple of things learned over the years. One has been mentioned, gut them right
away. Birds start gassing in 20 minutes of dying. Especially if you punched the guts
it's going to taint the meat. The other advantage is , no smell.
I always breast out my geese and ducks and before cooking I brine them for 1/2 hour.
It takes that liver or blood tinge out of the meat.
Lastly is taste. I like strong and kinda tough meat. Eating store bought meat that is
tender is like eating cereal to me. But with geese it took 20 recipes or so before I hit
on one I really like. Ducks we like to stir fry with veggies.
Geese we pan fry in butter with no seasoning, then add a plum sauce or cranberry
sauce and bake until the sauce is piping hot. Cooked medium rare to rare, any more
and it starts getting dry and tougher. for what it's worth.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

I remove the breast and slice it in 1/4-3/8" strips across the grain as if making jerky. Then soak it in saltwater for sometimes a week changing the water daily. When you get the blood out you can use it anything calling for meat. I normally make up a stir fry with olive oil, butter, green peppers, onions, garlic and any seasoning handy with Emeril's (homemade) being my choice. The kids even ate it! Heard one from a guy on MD's Eastern Shore but have not tried it yet. Roll the skinned breast in ground coffee and roast over charcoal. His sportsman's association does several hundred a year for a fund raiser and he said there are no leftovers!
Old 09-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Bronze Member

We take our snow goose breasts to a guy who makes it just like dried beef. It is delicious, anyone who eats meat loves the stuff. It doesn't taste like waterfowl at all. It tastes a lot like dried venison.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:33 AM

Doenst look like this post has been active lately but heres and idea.
Have been waterfowling for years and found a great tip for cooking ducks and geese. Soak the meat in Coke or Orange juice for 6 hours before cooking. Found this on a website recipe a few years ago and was suprised the difference it made. If making it with any type of fruit sauce or marinade use the OJ, otherwise a bottle of coke, sounds crazy but it works. (ever see what coke does to a new penny)? Was brought up that anything you hunt and kill, you eat. If you dont like the taste, dont shoot. Have ran into many hunters at boat landings asking if anyone wants their ducks "I cant stand the taste of them, we usually just throw them out" and thats the "bad taste in my mouth". Hope it helps, it did for me.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Silver Member

I'll second the coke for a marinade. Works great with a pork roast in the crock pot too! With ducks I marinade them over night in teryaki, stuff em with sliced jalapenos, wrap em with bacon and grill em till the bacon is done. Jalapenos and bacon....can't go wrong there! Thinkin about it, I'm sure you could cook a turd like that and make it paletable...