Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Waterfowl Hunting

Waterfowl Hunting Techniques For Duck and Goose Hunting

I just cant eat this.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I just cant eat this.

IMO, goose is like shad.
There are 21 steps to properly preparing shad, and the last one is to throw it in the garbage

edge.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Gold Member

I take it, you know what I am saying.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

YA.
But I opened the can of worms on my own, so they'll all come gunnin for me instead of pickin on you
But ya its not fit for human consumption
Like I said, Im glad I have friends who enjoy it. Ill keep ploppin em and giving em away as long as they keep takin' em.

Ive been wondering how come I cant find any friends who love to elk hunt but need to find a friend to give the meat to.........huh........ guess elk meat is, well,.....actually good

Oh, and contrary to the post, Ive never eaten Merganser, or Coot, or Goldeneye, or any of the rest of those fishy, mudsuckin ducks that I know of. But then again if I could find an elk hunter to slip rancid elk to so I could ''be the nice guy, and take all his future meat off his hands so he could keep huntin, and not waste it....'' Id do it in a heartbeat! So maybe somebody started me out with rotten fowl so I would give them all mine in the future, who knows, hahahaha

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

I thought the greater Canada geese I used to shoot off the farm fields in Michigan tasted good. The big ones would go around 12 lbs if I recall correctly. They tasted a lot better than mallards or any other duck. They also tasted much better than the lesser Canada geese in Alaska that are feeding on wild vegetation.

The ate a lot of corn and winter wheat where I hunted them in Michigan around a National Wildlife refuges. They'd come out of the refuge to feed on the surrounding farmlands in the mornings. I think that made a big difference in their flavor and edibility.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Gold Member

For the most part, I have to vote with Winman. I have friends that can make it marginally edible after a week of marinade and various "21 step" processes. Seems like all good waterfowl receipes revolve around making it taste like something else.......too much work for me.

On the odd year that I draw a good permit for our local state area, I have no problem giving them away.........
Old 09-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Bronze Member

all the previous posts have good recommendations, mine's pretty simple...gut them as soon as you retrieve them and get them cooled right away. Hard to do when its hot & heavy with geese but If you get your crew working togeather it goes quick. Cabellas has a butt-oot tool for waterfowl in their catalog that works awesome.
cheers
Old 09-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

I was with winmag in terms of geese unless made into some kind of sausage, etc. Tried 'em many different ways, but not to my liking. 'til a friend told me last year to take the breasts, wrap bacon around them and bake them in the oven in an oven bag. Tastes just like beef roast, he said. Yeah, right, I thought. So I put this whole, skinned 14lb goose (it was a BIG goose i got on the second to last day of the season) in a baking bag and used toothpicks to hold bacon all over it and put some apples, etc. in the body cavity. I ABSOLUTELY could not believe it. Tasted like beef roast...no kidding. It was some of the tastiest game meat I've ever had, although my father-in-law's stone sheep was pretty good as I recall. I've been turning geese into pepperoni, sausage, etc., but I'm gonna a save a few breasts for the bacon baking bag now. Try it...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl