Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Waterfowl Hunting

Waterfowl Hunting Techniques For Duck and Goose Hunting

I just cant eat this.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Gold Member

I just cant eat this.

I don't know if its me or what, I just cant eat wild Geese. am I missing something?
I slow cooked the breast meat like my friends told me and I just had to step back.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Bronze Member

Re: I just cant eat this.

I always find with Goose that you it's best to marinate it in milk for a while before you cook it. Also you treat Goose breast like you would a very lean cut of meat. In other words...rare and quickly cooked either on a grill or stir fry with veggies. We use goose breast whenever a recipe calls for round steak.

If you over cook it you have no flavor left. There's simply no fat in the meat to hold flavor so you need what little juice is in there to seal the flavor and that means rare.

It's worth it to figure it out because it truly is very tasty and nutritious when cooked correctly.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Gold Member

NHGriff hit the nail on the head - do not over cook.

We like to marinade the breasts in teryaki sauce, a little brown sugar and spices - garlic powder, onion powder or what ever you like. We then slice oranges and apples - slice them so they are round and about 1/8 to 1/4 thick. Put a slice of apple on one side and orange on the other - use toothpicks to hold them to the breast. Wrap the open edge with bacon - also use toothpicks to hold on. Place on grill turn after a couple of minutes. Cook until the juices just start to turn clear. Be careful not to overcook.
RMNS 8:28
Old 09-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

I for one am very glad that there are poeple like NHGriff, and MN Hunter, in the world who were born without tastebudds.
Folks like these alow folks like me to harvest geese and have another use for the meat other than stinky rotton catfish bait, or coyote bait.

Im just playion guys. I cant eat or even smell, cooked waterfowl without wanting to gagg. Ive had it prepared every way from Sunday, and the only way Ill eat it is if its ground and smoked in jerky, and the flavor is completely drowned out. even then its only in moderation.
I have a few friends who like waterfowl tho, and this s a great thing for me. I love to bird hunt, and having friends who will eat it alows me to keep hunting with a clear concience. ALL my waterfowl is given away.
Some folks like it, some folks dont, and theres not much in the way of middle ground. So thank your buddys who do like it, so you can keep hunting.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 09-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Gold Member

I process 100-200 geese every year. If jerky is not to your liking I'll pass on another option that we use the bulk of our birds for. We mix up to 1/2 goose with either antelope, deer, or elk and grind them together. We use this for making breakfast saucage, brats, italian sausage, salami etc. When my wife can't taste the goose in something then it is a pretty safe bet no one else will either. We have an advantage in that I have all the grinders, stuffers, smoker etc. to do this ourselves but I will tell you it is an easy way to use up a lot of lbs. of goose meat. Goose meat is very dry by nature so after many trys we have learned to compensate by adding extra beef suet to what we would normally use in just straight antelope, deer, elk etc. - especially in the salami.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Gold Member

Winmag

No offense taken.

Mind you I would much rather have a good elk steak than goose any day. However you take what you get.

The funny thing is we use that recipe for both ducks and geese. When my kids were little they called it duck on a stick. They always wanted it for their birthday party and would be upset if they couldnt have it. Go figure - only in Minne-so-ta

Here's a receipe for you to try:
Place goose breast in terakie sauce marinade.
Open a one liter bottle of Jack Daniels - pour over ice - consume entire contents of bottle.
Most often at this point you will not care what you eat.

Have a good one.
RMNS 8:28
Old 09-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Winmag

You developed an aversion to waterfowl probably due to some of your "friends" starting you off on coot or mergansers!

Now everything tastes like coot and just the thought brings back "fond memories"

Go ahead and admit it!

BH