Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Upland Bird Hunting

Upland Bird Hunting Techniques For Upland Bird Hunting

Trapping Pigeons for Training

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

Trapping Pigeons for Training

I've got a pigeon trap in the bottom of an empty silo, using cracked corn as bait. There is a lot of them using the silo.

Just wondering if the pigeons will venture down to the bottom of the silo or am I wasting my time?
Old 03-19-2014, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Trapping Pigeons for Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsims View Post
I've got a pigeon trap in the bottom of an empty silo, using cracked corn as bait. There is a lot of them using the silo.

Just wondering if the pigeons will venture down to the bottom of the silo or am I wasting my time?

They roost high up
Old 03-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Silver Member

Find a way to get where they roost.Take your cage and a bright flashlight.Light em up and just pluck em from the roost,,,easy to do in an old hay barn.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:49 PM

You will only be successful if they are very hungry! Food is what dictates to weather a pigeon will do this or that etc. I raised pigeons and can tell you, they are not all alike either. I had racer's, homer's, Birmingham Rollers, Turkish Roller's, California White Race's too. Last year my pigeon feed bill was higher than our dog's feed bill. We had some 400 birds then.

I would put some whole corn and sunflower seeds inside a dog crate like I do. You let them feed that way for 3 or 4 days. Keep the crate dog open all the time, so they can come and go as they please. The one morning before the sun is up, you tie a heavy string to the gate and when a half/dozen or so get inside, you pull that gate shut. Get to the gate quick like and have someone there to help get the pigeons out and then load it up again for the next morning.

Yes, a night time you can pluck them right off the roost alright, using a flashlight and shine it in their eyes quick, grab em and turn off the light. Then start all over on the nexst bird.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member

I usually just throw a rock on top of the barn and get em on the way out. Then wait a few min for them to come back.

They usually feed on the calfs feed so they are fat slow and tasty. If there were more of em i wouldnt even waste time on mourning dove!
Old 10-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Silver Member

I use to catch them at parking decks downtown. Pole with fish net and a bamboo pole to run them out of their hiding places.

Made a cannon net and used it along railroad tracks. Catch a hundred at a time that way.

Nat Lambeth
Old 10-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

Everyone has valid suggestions.

Bird control, including pigeon trapping and removal is a part of what my company does.

If you can access the way in and out of the silo netting them is possible.
If you can train them to eat in the trap or kennel you can get them that way.
If you can spot them roosting under over passed you can get them with a strobe light.

Each roost, feeding area or roost is the same but unique.

If it were a perfect formula that worked every time I would be out of a job.

You could find the local commercial removal company, usually $10 each. LOL.