Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Upland Bird Hunting

Upland Bird Hunting Techniques For Upland Bird Hunting

Chukar hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Gold Member

Chukar hunting

Had a great year chukar hunting in Nevada.................I found a great spot about 90 miles north of Reno.......

Really easy hunting rolling sage hills with lots of Birds.....
I had two 11 covey days, my Pudel pointer "Sam" was great .........even had some great shooting with my 28ga.

Looking forward to next fall and spending time up there in the wall tent..........

I will be working four tens and so will have a three day weekend every week.

Greg
Old 04-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Chukar hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
Had a great year chukar hunting in Nevada.................I found a great spot about 90 miles north of Reno.......

Really easy hunting rolling sage hills with lots of Birds.....
I had two 11 covey days, my Pudel pointer "Sam" was great .........even had some great shooting with my 28ga.

Looking forward to next fall and spending time up there in the wall tent..........

I will be working four tens and so will have a three day weekend every week.

Greg

That sounds fantastic. Love the Reno area. See any deer?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Silver Member

Sounds great!

I like the Huns as well.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Gold Member

How do you like your Cynergy? We get into Huns to....................up north around McDermitt, NV.................I shoot a 20ga 7/8 oz 7 or 7 1/2 If the birds are wild I go with a 1oz of 61/2

I see lots of Deer and some really nice Bucks..................we saw one that was well over 30inches..................area 042 is where we hunt.

I hunt with a Pudel Pointer.............................how do you like your shorthair?

Greg
Old 05-01-2012, 12:15 AM

That sounds great would love to hunt them up there, we only have penraised birds here. How do you like your Pudel I have looked at them but don't know anyone who has ever been around one.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Gold Member

I have owned two wirehairs in the past and I can be honest and tell you that this dog is the best dog I have ever hunted over................It took me a while to get use to his nose.............and trust him when he went on point. Finding out that at times he was pointing birds at over 100 yards. I have NEVER had a dog that could find birds like this one, Sam is a bird finding machine. I hunted with a guy that has a short hair................same found 9 coveys that day coveys that his dog never winded.
I got same from www.cedarwoodgundogs.com He has a one year money back on all his dogs if you dont like them....................no questions asked. He is also a super water dog and is like my last Lab.............a super water retriever...................Chukar hunting is so much more enjoyable hunting with Sam..................

Greg
Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the info Greg. Did you train him yourself?