Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Upland Bird Hunting

Upland Bird Hunting Techniques For Upland Bird Hunting

Arizona bird hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Arizona bird hunting

Take the time to go hunt "fools quail". I hunted during Christmas and was down there 2 weeks ago, mearns are everywhere. I will only remove 1 or 2 birds from a covey and limited every morning. Bumped into some other hunters on the way in or out and most said they struggled, but some had the best year they can remember. Pointed some guys into areas they were not familiar with and they called me back and said they found the birds. They are there, just be ready to find them. We were averaging 8-10 miles in 3 or so hours per dog. Pm me your number if you have any questions and I will call you back. Brad
Old 01-24-2013, 08:27 PM

Brad my number is 517-643-2524. I work afternoons so best time to call during the week is 9a to 1p. or anytime on the weekend. eastern time

thanks Duane
Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

I will give you a buzz this weekend, talk to you then. We may be down there hunting mearns anyways.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

I saw a post you made about hunting in Az. I live,fish,& hunt in Tx but also have a place near Phoenix Az and go Quail hunting pretty often ill be there Oct & Nov, 2013. I have hunted them from Nogales to Payson I always have room and enjoy meeting other hunters If your interested we can exchange nembers and talk more about it.

Cheers DL
Old 07-31-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFant View Post
I saw a post you made about hunting in Az. I live,fish,& hunt in Tx but also have a place near Phoenix Az and go Quail hunting pretty often ill be there Oct & Nov, 2013. I have hunted them from Nogales to Payson I always have room and enjoy meeting other hunters If your interested we can exchange nembers and talk more about it.

Cheers DL

DL, note sure if I will be coming out this year, maybe next year. I also hunt grouse in northern MI and pheasants in South Dakota. I was in Tucson last June and saw coveys of Gambels quail everywhere lots of young ones. Looks like they had a good hatch

Duane
Old 07-31-2013, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

That sounds fun too I love any wing shooting. Maybe we can hunt sometime i am simi retired and hunt alot all over. Yes last year was very good in Az Killed a ton of Gambles.
Stay in touch

Cheern DL
Old 07-31-2013, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

We saw larger gambels family groups this spring around the NW side of Tucson. Largest had 15 offspring! The number of young we usually see is 8-10. We seemed to have enough winter rains to cause these larger coveys, something that didn't happen the winter of 2012.

Gambels were pairing up and nesting in May, June and even a few in July. I often have some nesting in planter boxes on north side of house. Rains came sporatically since July 1.

A couple of good rains hit the Gambels country west and north of Tucson. I haven't gone out there yet but I'd bet many tanks are full. Hoping the young survived till the rains came. This season might be better than last year. We will have to wait and see.