Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Who's going black bear hunting this spring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

Re: Who's going black bear hunting this spring

No Grizzl hunting here in Alberta either. I believe for the same reasons you said. There is plenty of them though. They are getting braver all the time and they're expanding their territory down into the farmland already.

If there's ever a season opened up again, I'll be sure to have my name in the draw.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:40 AM

Yeah, no grizz season. I am having a hard time finding blacks, but the grizzlies aren't hiding from me.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2381 View Post
Nice shot. 918yds is a long shot. How was the performance of the bullet? I'm sure it punched through without a hitch. There isn't much resistance in a small bear.

I'm just workin' on my truck and quad, gettin' them ready for the trip up north. The guns are ready, they have been for awhile.

Anybody else seeing any bears out and about?

Skiking, is there a grizzly season in MT?
the vld did really well..we use em for everything . they are deadly. he took the first shot at 868 yrds and missed (rushed it). we calmed things down and he hit her with the second shot. goin out tomm. to see about getting the wife on one.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Silver Member

Anybody been getting out for bear lately? I snuck away for a week. Saw 12 bears. I've always wanted to try bear meat, so I shot a small bear (150lbs) on the first day. In the area I was hunting in a guy can get two tags, so I bought another tag and continued hunting. I searched high and low for a big old boar, but I just couldn't find the one that I wanted. I almost shot the last bear I saw on the last day as it looked like a good one. Round belly that hung down, small looking ears. But, I crept up to under 100 yds to get a better look and it just didn't strike me as the one I wanted. It just didn't seem to have the size. Maybe I should've shot it as I was heading home soon, but a guy will never get the big one if he shoots the small one first.

A friend that came out with me shot his first bear. He was really excited. It was a smaller bear that went 5 feet nose to tail. I hunted a set of HUGE tracks for a few days, but no sign of the bear that made them.

I am done bear hunting now for the spring, unless I get shipped up north for work, then I can go out every night 'til July 15th.

Anybody got any good stories to tell about their bear hunt?