Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Who's going black bear hunting this spring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

Who's going black bear hunting this spring

Hello everybody. I really enjoy hunting black bears in the spring. I like spot and stalk, and I like baiting. I'll be going out end of May, first week of June.

Who else is goin' lookin' for blackie this spring?
Old 04-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Who's going black bear hunting this spring

This will be my busiest year with work and other projects going on. I've not missed a spring bear hunt since 05. Unfortunately, this will be my first.

I did put in for Utah elk, pronghorn, and mulie, however. And, I will be putting in for CO mulie point.

Good luck on your hunt. BBs are some of my favorite game animals!
Old 04-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Silver Member

i will definatly be doing some bear hunting this spring, i boat in and stay in a outfitters tent, jjust waiting for the ice to break
Old 04-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Bronze Member

My season started april 1st. No bears awake yet. I live in Oregon and we can't bait or use hounds. I get mine at long range! I have a spot where I usually see 3-7 bears a day by just sittin'. Real steep, grassy, rocky, glades. I can shoot anywhere from 465 out to 1,100 yards. Gotta be kinda carefull where you shoot though, some areas are almost impossible to get one out. Like sheep or goat hunting. Been having real unpredictable weather, with 2-6" of snow every other night. High wind too. Have a few days of 60-70* weather this week. Should get'em movin"
Old 04-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Silver Member

ya there is no bears out here either lots of snow, i will be baiting this year trying to get my first bear with a bow.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

What do you think, Natank? Is it gonna be another really late spring up there? Last year we went out in the middle of May, north of Grande Prairie. There was plenty of snow in the bush still then and no bears. We went up again the first week of June, and they were just starting to come out.

The guys that hunt them in the hills, do you see most of your bears on south facing slopes? Where there is the most sunshine?

I try to bait around beaver dams and low lying areas. Seems like it works well. The only problem with that is there can be plenty of bugs when you're sitting on the bait.

Last edited by eric2381; 04-08-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Bronze Member

The area I watch is on the south facing slopes. Grass is about 8" tall with buttercups (flowers) in it. Bears feed all day only stopping for an hour or so around 2pm.