Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

What does an average black bear measure?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What does an average black bear measure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
This year, I looked over some of the data from the last six years of spring bear hunting the AK coast and we've taken a total 35 bears, three of which were over 7' weighing approximately 400+ lbs, and six mid to high 6' at 300 to 350 lbs.

Everything else was 5' to 6'4" up to 350 lbs. The 7' bears all measured between 19" and 20" on the skull and the high 6' bears were 18.5" - 19". An average bear for us up there measures between 5'10" and 6'4". These bears ranged from 16.5" - 18" on the skull. As an exception, two years ago my brother shot a skinny 6' spring bear that had the largest skull of any I've seen come from down there. It measured right at 20".

We get some really nice bears with fantastic size and hide quality, but we've never seen anything close to an all time Booner skull.
AK doesnt equate to the lower 48,which is more what hes looking at. I hunted witha friend at a camp and most years the average bear was close to 8 yrs. and pope on skull.The campe we had took about 70 bears. Probably 1/2 doz. Boone and a friend of mine that is close to super slam, had the #3 at time pope at 21 13/16''. The area was know as one of the top in the world.Hard to beat fish diet and pretty long summers.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Thats a great looking bear,love the color.What did the skull green score,looks like a whooper
Old 06-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Bronze Member

Nice bear, love that color . What state did he come from?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:29 PM

Thanks! Took him 5/30/13 in Glide, Oregon.
Green score is 20 1/8" respectively.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesador View Post
Had an awesome hunt with Tim Picket / Southern Oregon Outfitters . Tim got me on a 500# 7'0" color phase monster boar... hunt and bear of a lifetime. !! I'd post pictures if I knew how.... sorry new to this !!!!
I hunted with Tim about seven years ago in Glide. Great outfit. He helped me get a 6' bear with 19" skull. I think it was 300 lbs if I remember right. I missed a bear with him that was a 500 lb bear like yours but I don't think they are that common here. Your bear is freaking awesome. I have only seen one more bear of that size since I have been bear hunting in Oregon. I shot him and lost him this may. It sucked.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:56 PM

Arrgh! That does suck!! Don't it seem like those rare badluck moments are the ones you remember the most. Have a couple that have haunted me for 30 years! Tims a great guy and as far as a guide he knows his stuff.
Just picked up the bear steaks, salami, pep and jerky...can't wait to fire up the grill tommorrow
Old 06-12-2013, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Im not in the lower 48, but up here in B.C anything under 6' is considered a "meat bear".
over 6' is a decent one and 6'6 makes you happy. I have shot one that was 6'11" and I measured the skull (green) at just over 20". On Vancouver Island they get much better.

I have never seen a chocolate bear that big! that's a real trophy!

I haven't seen very many nice color phase bears that get big up here, but I'm sure they are here.