Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

What do you use for bait

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Gold Member

Re: What do you use for bait

harperc
You are correct there are some in idaho but not where i hunt I not heard of anythere all my life.
They are east of my hunting grounds in on the west side of the state at the top of hells cayon
Never thought about taking a horse in and leaving it
I think idaho law says it has to be skinned
interesting idea
retiredcpo
Old 06-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Retiredcpo
I don't know what's left of the spring bear season there, but looking towards fall with a little luck there will be a wolf season. I don't know what the situation is where you are, but friends farther north are showing me trail cam pics of wolves on their bear baits. Hopefully, bait will be part of legal wolf hunts.
We used to set up a close stand for archery or rifle, but if you can find the right place-with a little pruning you can make a longer range window. If the quotas, rules, and seasons are liberal enough we might have to see if what we learned bear baiting has any application to wolf hunting.
good luck
Old 06-04-2011, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

I used to go to AK too archery hunt. We collected pastry from Eddys bread. All had to be unwraped, twinkeys,pies,brownies,zebra cakes, you name it. Then trash compact it, about a 45# load on pack frame. Ran a "stink barrel'' beaver , halibut anything dead, 55 gal drum kept going.... for years. Some guys about puked loading a gal. milk jug, poured at bait or way in or on a good tree too catch wind. Switched to commercial smoke scent, put in a spray bottle and spray EVERYTHING, boots ,trees, you get the idea. We took ALOT of big bears, 18 1/2 to the best that I remember 21 3/4, nose looked like a brick, many 20+
Old 06-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Gold Member

According to fish and game there is one good sized wolf pack in the area I am hunting in
I have seen two in the last 5 or 6 years we saw lots of tracks last year but that was a differant unit and a ways away
I dont think they will make baiting legal but sounds like you will be able to use electionic calls, well see shat they do
retiredcpo
Old 06-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Bronze Member

I have had really good luck over the years using Laffy Taffy. I take my MSR backpacking stove and a small tin soup can with me when I backpack into an area. Place the laffy taffy into the can and place it on the stove on med heat. It takes about 20 minutes but eventually the taffy begins to smoke. It is a white sweet smelling smoke that drifts for miles. The bears can't seem to resist it. It makes for a lightweight way to bait in bears.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:58 AM

(Wrong area)
Old 02-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

hello, I'm not a expert on bear but this happened to me.I hunted for giant black bear in Newfoundland Canada last June.The outfitter& his guide were exprets at bear baiting as I saw vbear each day& shot two.They start baiting in early spring(AprilL. Soon as they come out theiris something to eat on baits tey put out so bears don't have to wonder looking for food.They stay so when season opens hunters get to see bruins.Later as the "RUT: starts bears start to move so if females are at bait sites you"ll see more boars come by.They use anything edible,foodscapes,fat from donut stores,fish rotten meat,varmints,moose bones from last season etc. Then each time every day a few loaves of stale bread went into the bait drums at each active stannd.Now came the SLAMING of the drum lid.That is lke the dinner bell!Within 45min. started seein bears!! Amazing but true!! I went out early mourning afternoon, and evening.Full moon week, but the bears keed on the noise of the drum slam& fired gun shots as anoter fellow shot 2 boars within 20minutes of each other.Gun shots mean gutpilesor dead animals just like the do in Alaska when hunters shoot deer on Kodiak Island and have bears raid ther kill. My guide suggested to shoot my gun after he left but I wa using a muzzelloader so I decided not to. The drumcover slaming was enough. I'm convinced this works so bait choice is secondary unless someone else is hunting close. Dskiper