Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Are we all ready for spring bear hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

Are we all ready for spring bear hunting?

Its been a long winter and I cannot wait to get back out to my bear hunting country. Got a new Remington 7mm mag that I have been working up loads for. Will also buy a WY nonresident tag this year to go along with my Idaho tag since I hunt the state line anyway. Probably carry my 375 H&H when I am in grizzly country. What rifles do the rest of you like?
Kirk
Old 03-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Are we all ready for spring bear hunting?

Chomping at the bit! I hunted the Greys river drainage in Wyo last year and shot a nice Chocolate and this year I will on the Salmon in ID chasing bear and maybe a wolf if I'm lucky.

I am taking my trusty 300 wsm.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:57 AM
Platinum Member

No , Im not ready, there is 10 ' of snow in the mountains and 1/2 dozen people have been killed locally in avalanches,snocat and ski. I AM TRYING TO REWORK MY 340 FOR my kid. I have done literally 100's of stalks with my bow, when younger, but our country is really mag type, I'll be on 388 Norma, so we will be packing some heavy hitters. This is last spirng the Kid has a bear claw from each bear he has taken
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Are we all ready for spring bear hunting?-wyatt-spring.jpg  
Old 03-03-2012, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

Just starting to recover from chasing elk and wolves, but still looking forward to trying after a spring bear this year. Always packn the 270 WSM but need to get the 338's on something out over a 1000 yards and a bear would do nicely

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Whacked a few with my 270WSM, & with my -06, & one with a .44 mag.
Next on the list is my 300WSM if its done in time for load development before August...
Man I'm gettin the itch! Haven't layed the smack down on anything(zero, zilch, nadda, nothin') since last bear season! Smoked a big dry sow that I thought was a nice size boar. Ate good tho. I love bear huntin, its my passion, but I'd really like to draw & fill my Deer, & Elk tags sometime in this century as well

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

my go-to bear gun is the never improved upon 30.06. Even in grizz country, I'm completely comfortable with the .06 with Barnes or Nosler bullets in the 180 to 200 grain wt. It's a nice light weight rifle with a 22" pacnor fluted bbl.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:55 AM
Silver Member

I hear you. I just loaded some 200 Gr accubonds. I have been going over maps and looking at goole earth, and I still have until May before I can get into my spot.