Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Wanting to get started bear hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Bronze Member

Wanting to get started bear hunting

Been wanting to take the plunge for a while. So I figure Im not getting any younger. So, how does a guy get started. Whats the easiest and/or best states to draw in?? Anything you guys think would help. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: Wanting to get started bear hunting

Wa. state..Over the counter tags...2 of them...Highest bear density in lower 48...check these guys out...www.bearhuntwashington.com...huge bears and near 100 % harvest every year...
Old 04-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Start with the basic questions, spring, or fall? Guided or DIY? How far are you willing to travel? How many days have you got to invest? Are you thinking spot and stalk, bait, or hounds?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Bronze Member

Im a DIY kinda guy. And it would be spot and stalk. We have a bear season here. But its down south and the quota is filled the first morning. Im kinda thinking Colorado because I've been there before. But never bear hunted. Not sure how many points are required. for the various units. I am in the process of checking that out. Im wondering if perhaps one of the other rocky mountain states has less points. Or is there a better state to spend you money in for bear hunting than Colorado???
Old 04-28-2013, 10:38 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramag45 View Post
Wa. state..Over the counter tags...2 of them...Highest bear density in lower 48...check these guys out...www.bearhuntwashington.com...huge bears and near 100 % harvest every year...
I missed your post. Thanks I will check that out. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:51 PM
Bronze Member

So is there a lot of public land in Washington??? And what are the fees???
Old 04-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, quite a bit of public, and timber company land. Some fees on timber company, and some road closures on the public ground. Roughly 3 main areas coastal, Cascades, and Eastern WA.. These are broken into smaller units, with season dates August 1-November 15, a couple units open September 1, spring tags on a drawing. Non resident bear looks like $222, they sell licenses in packages so anything else drives the price up. Eastern WA. is 1 bear , all I know of the 2 bear areas is it will cost you another $222 for another tag, NR bear tag doesn't appear to be good for anything else.