Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Spot & Stalk bear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Gold Member

Spot & Stalk bear

We did real well, spot and stalk hunting the past few days here in Washington State.

My 19 year old son tagged this great chocolate with Grandpa's 1917 .30-06. Despite a 165 gr Nosler solid base bullet through the lungs, it wanted to run into the thick stuff, so we dropped it with a couple of shots from a 7mm mag and my .375 H&H.

The next morning I dropped this boar at 306 yards with the big Ruger, putting a 260 gr Accubond through him. The "smack" from that bullet hitting the bear was clearly audible to all of us. I lost the bear in recoil, but my friend Chris yelled "You hammered him." The bear is really a dark chocolate, but looks black in this photo:

Chris dropped the black bear at nearly 500 yards with a good shot from his 7mm Rem mag, then it tumbled down into a thickly vegetated ravine. He tracked down the bear and finished things at very close range. His was taken within a few minutes of mine. Here's all three, my son's is on the left, mine in the center, and Chris' glossy black bear is on the right.

I really wanted to pull off this father-son hunt. An up and coming young guide here in Washington, Shane, helped make it happen. My son and I are pretty good at mule deer hunting, but I knew next to nothing about bear hunting, and really nothing about how to properly skin one for a rug. Great hunting with the young man, he knew that my priority was getting my son on a bear, and he made that happen the first day of the hunt!

Regards, Guy
Old 09-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Spot & Stalk bear

Congrats!!!
Very nice bears. Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun in the hunt. The type of hunts you and your son will always remember. Thanks for sharing.
Any more pics of the bears???
Old 09-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Congrats, Guy! That's great! I'm trying to bag my first one this year, but the berries up high on the westside seem quite a bit behind this year. Got a few longrange spots picked out, just need the berries to cooperate in those spots... What did you learn about bear hunting?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

3 very nice bears!!!
It looks like one or both of those chocolate bears would go high17's to 18's. I know min for Oregon book is 18 1/8 inches. Washington may be simmilar. They look big enough in the pics. Great bears, great story, and I loved the pics. Congrats to all!! Bear hunting may be my favorite just because when the action starts, ITS ON! While elk and deer are fun as well, bears bring a whole different level of excitement to the table. You did well.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 09-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Gold Member

I agree! Bear hunting gets into your blood.

Congrats on tagging a bunch of great black bears!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice pictures.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

Congrats! Great pictures!

I'm headed out this coming Saturday to do some spot and stalk with the 'ol smoke pole. I don't think my shots will be quite as long as yours though! Hope I am as fortunate as you guys were.