Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Shot Placement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Shot Placement

Use a 45/70 and shoot them in the shoulder. It will drop them like a sack. 1980fps with 430 gr bullet. or at least from my experience
Old 12-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawShark View Post
Use a 45/70 and shoot them in the shoulder. It will drop them like a sack. 1980fps with 430 gr bullet. or at least from my experience
I don't have a 45-70 and not looking to get one.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Silver Member

I killed a bear 3 years ago with my 270 wsm at 982 yards with 1 shot she was about 200 pounds. I shot a 450 pounder at 300 yards with my 338 lapua and it took 3 shots to make him stop heart neck and head in that order. Just like any thing else you will find 1 tough mofo that just doesnt want to die. Your 270 wsm is more than capable to kill a black bear
Old 01-01-2014, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightflight View Post
When it comes to bear hunting I know nothing. I don't know anyone that bear hunts.

Lets say I'm fairly close to the bear, it is coming strait towards me. Has anyone lined it up right on the chest and shot a bear this way? I shot a deer this way...Curious how if would work on a bear.
Bear are built a bit different than deer. They are kind of built down hill, and head position varies from a heads up position where under the chin the chest is exposed, to a low position where above the head is better angled to the vitals.

Google some of the bear anatomy pictures on the net that will get at least thinking what frontal shot you might take.

Charges unusual, but added to it the possibility their escape route is your direction the frontal shot can happen. Don't get bit by a dead bear, give them another if in doubt.

I prefer heavier stout for caliber bullets. Even Black Bear come in a lot of sizes. A long wound channel, with broken bone, and exits always gives good results.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:12 PM

Bears have a very similar bone/muscle structure to humans, so a deer isn't the best example.

I've killed three black bears in Oregon and was standing next to my dad who shot another.

1st was one over 250lbs. A 25-06 with a 120gr Speer Boat tail right behind the front leg pretty much dropped it dead in its tracks.

2nd was around 200lbs. 300 Win Mag with a 180gr Speer Grand in the middle of the spine at an uphill angle. After it stopped rolling back down the hill towards me I finished it off.

3rd was around 300lbs. A 308 with a 165gr Hornady Interlock in the head did the job. Surprising, huh? lol.

4th was around a 100lb yearling. My dad hit it with a 338 Win Mag pushing a 210gr Nosler Partition through both shoulders. It got up and starting running on them like it wasn't even hit and he hit it again quartering away in the ribs and it thrashed around for a few minutes until it expired.

Bears are a weird and tough animal to bring down. They are by far the toughest thing I have ever hunted. The odds of a black bear coming after you are about as good as Ron Artest coming after you at a basketball game. Sure, it can happen, but the odds are slim lol.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Gold Member

The anatomy of every game animal is different from every other game animal. Understanding the anatomy of a bear is critical in preparing shot placement. Compare the
Trying to include the most important information you'll need in a forum post isn't practical.
This link deals primarily with bow hunting but the kill zone information is still valuable, even to the rifle hunter:

http://www.ballistics101.com/images/...tplacement.pdf

Here's another link that will be worth your time to read:

Shot Placement Best Kill Shot for Black Bear - How to Shoot a Bear

The only thing I might add is, if you wound the animal and it runs or wanders off, be VERY careful tracking it. This isn't a deer - it's far more dangerous. As long as it has enough energy to move and an opportunity to attack, it will. A wounded bear will sometimes run off and lay down. They're often difficult to see and can surprise even the experienced hunter with a sudden violent charge from what seems to out of nowhere.

Good hunting ................

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Silver Member

If you try and take out the shoulders watch that you do not get a little in front of them .A black bear has an air pocket just in front of the shoulders.You will see a little blood ,but it's not a killing shot.His vitals are a little lower than a deer.His anatomy is a lot like a humans.I had one on the skinning table and the shooter got so upset that it look so much like a human laying there he never hunted bear again.If a bear is charging[ very unlikely] you hit him in the head if you have time because if it is any closer he will be on you.I hope you do not think Iam a know it all, but from someone who has brought out over 400 bear in the last 30 years I've seen alot