Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Shot Placement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

Shot Placement

When it comes to bear hunting I know nothing. I don't know anyone that bear hunts.

These may seem like silly questions but I have to deal with them...

Family is concerned that if the first shot doesn't put the bear down that It will charge me and I'm a dead man. Any truth to this or need for concern? Obviously the bear would have to be pretty close.

Lets say I'm fairly close to the bear, it is coming strait towards me. Has anyone lined it up right on the chest and shot a bear this way? I shot a deer this way...Curious how if would work on a bear.

I shoot a 270 WSM and have a goal of hunting a bear next year for starters I wont be using bait or dogs.... just spot/stalk. Any advice would be appreciated let me know if you need more details. Thanks for the help
Old 12-23-2013, 11:52 PM
Gold Member

Re: Shot Placement

Where are you and are we talking about Black Bears or Kodiaks?
Old 12-24-2013, 01:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc View Post
Where are you and are we talking about Black Bears or Kodiaks?
Black brear.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

Black bear in CA for starters. All the videos I see it doesn't look a whole lot different than deer.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:04 AM
Bronze Member

I will never get to hunt a bear, but im interested in the replies to your first post.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Silver Member

Hey lightflight,
pm me & we can chat about bears.
Kirk
Old 12-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Silver Member

You would have to be extremely close to said bear and make a terrible shot. Every now and then you'll run into a critter that's for what ever reason meaner nastier and tougher than the rest of them but hunting black bear with a good bullet and a 270wsm you'll be fine. Majority of bear attacks are from surprising the bear really close, I always carry a 44mag stoked with buffalo bore 'bear loads' just in case regardless of hunting hiking ect. I'm in Alaska and at certain times of the year they're everywhere. Make a good shot either right behind the shoulder or through the shoulders, I aim to break the off side shoulder. I've killed several critters with frontal shots, coyotes and deer unless it was and emergency situation I wouldn't make a frontal shot on a bear that's just my personal thing. As long as you get a bullet through the vitals and give it a few minutes to expire you should be just fine.