Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Shooting Sows

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Shooting Sows

That is interesting that you have a bear sex quota,we dont in MT. For cats yes and easier to tell in tree. Bait also helps,which we cant do. I hunted with a friend in AK out of his spot.The camped yeilded about 70 bears over the years,and the 2 sows were only one that did not Pope. But you are talking about a different type bear.We cant shoot sows w/cubs and not in AK either.I think when you take a female out you impact it more due to the biology of it all.The baiting affords you to be more selective.I would diffinitely hold out,but that is me.I saw over 50 bears one season and they are hard to judge. I have seen 100's over the years and I advised my son a few years back to shoot a bear that was chunky and I thought larger, turned out it was a sow. Very blocky and nice coat,he was happy.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCTD View Post
It's in the mid 80's here today and we are suppose to be mid to upper 80's all week. While we haven't seen any rubbed bears on our bait yet it's a matter of days before we do I bet. I'm sure our weather is headed your way even though it will probably be a bit cooler.

If you want a nice rug and a good size bear I'd probably shoot her. The quota is high enough they probably won't close the season soon (but you should be able to call in and check the sow count).

What are you using for bait? I played with some stuff this year and the bears seem to love it. I made a popcorn ball with marshmallows, Karo syrup, sugar, and strawberry Jello. I also made another with anise instead of the strawberry jello. They were the first things they ate. We also have dog food with maple and chocolate syrup, popcorn with bacon grease poured all over it, popcorn with sugar and Karo syrup, and just plain popcorn. I also made one with butterscotch pudding mix instead of the Jello or anise for the next trip up and I made some popcorn with bacon grease instead of oil. The popcorn stinks the house up pretty good when you make it (the wife wasn't overly happy). I'm going to make some trails with the popcorn to see if we can't get some bigger bears in (all we have had are little guys so far). I used to use stale doughnuts and bread but it's been really hard to get from Wonder this year.
We hit 90 degrees yesterday. 0 sows have been taken so far, but rifle season just opened yesterday. I was looking through my trail cam pics from past seasons and noticed that it did not take long before the bears started rubbing. One week, the hides were in the great shape.. the next week they already had obvious rubbing marks. I don't think it's going to cool down any time soon and the longer I hold out, the busier I will be with work. So, I think if she shows up I will take her. She's got to be 6 ft. or close to it.

My bait is very simple. I use dog food in the bottom of the barrel for filler and corn, oats and barley rolled in molasses on top for the main bait. Then, I pour about a gallon of syrup or honey over the top and let it soak into everything. I would like to mix it up but they seem to love the cob. Plus, my site is in the bottom of a deep canyon and it's easier packing a 50 lb. bag of cob on my back than it is carrying a couple buckets full of other stuff.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

wait for a big boar.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

My teenage doesnt listen to me, go figure He shot a chocolate sow last night
Old 05-17-2012, 12:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
That is interesting that you have a bear sex quota,we dont in MT. For cats yes and easier to tell in tree. Bait also helps,which we cant do. I hunted with a friend in AK out of his spot.The camped yeilded about 70 bears over the years,and the 2 sows were only one that did not Pope. But you are talking about a different type bear.We cant shoot sows w/cubs and not in AK either.I think when you take a female out you impact it more due to the biology of it all.The baiting affords you to be more selective.I would diffinitely hold out,but that is me.I saw over 50 bears one season and they are hard to judge. I have seen 100's over the years and I advised my son a few years back to shoot a bear that was chunky and I thought larger, turned out it was a sow. Very blocky and nice coat,he was happy.
Several areas have a female quota, and when it is met the season closes in that area. See the MFWP web site link below
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Black Bear Hunting Guide
Old 05-17-2012, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
Several areas have a female quota, and when it is met the season closes in that area. See the MFWP web site link below
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: Black Bear Hunting Guide
Your link said "sex class no quota''IT SHOWED HARVEST SEX DATA,ahhhh found it ,must be down in your neck of the woods,unit 510and 520,looked like only ones in state
Old 05-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Silver Member

Looks like the big sow may live to see another day. I may have a good reason to pass on her now. Mike, my dad and myself checked the camera again a couple days ago and found out we have a new bear at the site. This is the 4th confirmed bear now and the season just started. He looks like a mature boar. Not the biggest boar in the woods but a shooter in my book. In fact, he might be smaller than the sow. But, I think I'll be gunnin' for him now unless some bigger boars show up later like they've been known to do in previous years.