Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Shawn's long range black bear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 08:13 AM
Sponsor

Grit,

You just buy them there is no draw for black bears here. Some units you can get 2 tags. Baiting is permitable in some units and not in others. Success rates I am not sure about. I believe that fall success are higher than spring. Also like this year we may not even be able to get up into our usuall areas until late May because of the snow. Glad you liked the video of the shot.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 05-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

Hmmmmm,

All variable rate grain planting files, potato variable seed space files, and first top dress variable rate fertilizer files are in the computers on the tractors and floater. That means some slack time for ol' Roy.

In 7 minutes it will be May 1. I will awaken to at least 2 inches of new snow on the ground as that's what's out there now.

Spring bear opened last week. If I can get up the slimy back road I'll spend some time up at my honey hole scouting and watching for a bear.

It'll be a good test of my renovated and redesigned, since last elk/deer seaon, camping and shooting accessories.

I'll even need those snow shoes I got for next deer/elk season as most of the hiking to the shooting spot will be on the north side of the mountain. During last year's early season scouting I was up to my crotch in snow banks. Not really fun.

We'll see what happens.......

I'll most probably just get wet.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post

In 7 minutes it will be May 1. I will awaken to at least 2 inches of new snow on the ground as that's what's out there now.

That was about mid night.

Here's about 0730:eek: Welcome to Idaho.......

Old 05-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupe View Post
I like calling them in myself.
If you don't mind me asking...how do you call black bears in? I know for griz I would use a distressed cow/calf call.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-07-2008, 06:43 AM
Sponsor

Re: Shawn's long range black bear

The same works for Blacks in the spring and sometimes the rabbit calls work but the calf call pulls more bears. It will also pull in really big coyotes in the 150 lb range.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 10-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Yuup...........
Old 10-08-2008, 12:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Carlock View Post
The same works for Blacks in the spring and sometimes the rabbit calls work but the calf call pulls more bears. It will also pull in really big coyotes in the 150 lb range.
I thought those were big coyote tracks I saw.
Shawn, What about now? Is calling still effective or is baiting better?
How did you find that bear in the video?

Chris