Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Predator Calls for Bears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: Predator Calls for Bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpart View Post
Woodswise (woodswise.com) makes a call to mimic a sow in heat and an aggressive boar grunt. They have a video on the their website. I bought one and am taking it to Alaska for Brown Bear in 10 days.

Keep us posted
Old 04-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Gold Member

I have called them in during elk season using a calf call. Not on purpose lol. I assume it would also work in the spring.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:29 AM
Bronze Member

Lpart: That Woodwise call comes with a warning, "Do not use if there is a chance a Grizzly or Brown Bear might hear this call". Better take note of that warning. Don't use that Woodwise call when alone, or on the ground. It mimics a Black Bear, a Brownie will be coming in fast and hard looking to kill something. You better be ready. Brownies and Grizzlies will not tolerate a Black Bear in their territory. They will kill any they find in a heartbeat.

I used that call last year in the spring. I was just North of the Yukon River, along the Haul Road. Luckily I was up in a tree stand. Suddenly there was a Grizzly busting into the clearing. The suddeness and silence was overwhelming. She came in fast and silent, and was keyed in on my location. Thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest. Even tho I was out of reach, I climbed two more feet up the tree. It was a Sow, I could tell that. Two small cubs came into the clearing about five minutes later. She was ticked and looking to kill something, now! She kept me up that tree for over 8 hours.

Good Luck, and be careful and safe.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Bronze Member

Thank you Sourdough. I don't intend to use it as general locator. Only after we have a visual on a suitable bear I want to shoot. If we are having trouble getting into position or catching up with the bear I will use it to try and bring it in. We will certainly be on full alert and checking behind us as well if I give a toot!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Bronze Member

Be careful, and watch your back. It's hard to believe something so big can move so quite. Have fun and hope you get addrinalin pumping. No matter how many of those big bears you see, each one causes excitement. Good luck, and Alaska.
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

I have called in two or three bears while hunting coyotes, however, could never get one to come in during season!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 03-30-2013, 09:08 PM

While sitting in my tree stand, I have used a fawn in distress call and it has worked for Black Bears, but this could also be the fact that I had bear bait hanging. I like to use beavers..and sweets...deadly in my area. The fawn in distress just makes them come in faster and angry is my guess! Cheers