Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Predator Calls for Bears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Silver Member

Predator Calls for Bears

Since Spring Bear is the next available season for me to scratch my hunting itch, I've been thinking of giving it a try this year. Does anyone have any experience / advice for calling bears with predator calls? Does it work in the Spring?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Gold Member

Re: Predator Calls for Bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5Express View Post
Since Spring Bear is the next available season for me to scratch my hunting itch, I've been thinking of giving it a try this year. Does anyone have any experience / advice for calling bears with predator calls? Does it work in the Spring?
Calling works great in the spring and sometimes it works extremely great. Find a location known to hold bears, get into your spot when the bears start moving from their dens and make sure you call from a position that a bear cannot sneak up behind you. An interested bear can sometimes be hard to chase off if it's not one that you want.

Be very careful and aware of your surroundings. Calling can cause bears to get very aggressive. I would suggest an electronic call. If you use a mouth call be prepared to blow continuously to keep your bears interested. Bears have a very low attention span when being called and they have a tendency to lose interest if the sound stops.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Any particular sounds work better than others?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

If they come in the spring they will come all year. Called up on a rabbit squaller, a bear that I could not see but it aggitated him to pop his teeth real close by. Close enough to make the hair on my neck to stand straight. Never did see it and it was shortly after noon in the fall. Try it, calling is fun.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Gold Member

Wayne Carlton has an older but good video on calling bears....... I was real suprised how good it worked. I believe the video was named "calling all bears" or something close to that.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:45 PM

I hunt Idaho spring bear and have tried with no success on calling them. I think it must have to do with their diet. They have just come out of hibernation and are feeding on tender greens. The best way (if not baitng) to hunt spring bear is to find them on the fresh greens, usually just below snow level. I walk the old logging roads looking for scat and sign where they might be feeding. If I see they have been there, I will return and check it out again in the evening. (spot and stalk) This works for me but keep in mind the timing. If it gets too late in the spring when the tender feed grows everywhere the bears will disperse and will not be concentrated where the feed is. If it is too early they will not be out of their dens yet. Calling has worked for me in the the fall though. A bear is eating a higher protein diet then. I recomend you hunt with a partner to cover your backside. Good hunting!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Bronze Member

Woodswise (woodswise.com) makes a call to mimic a sow in heat and an aggressive boar grunt. They have a video on the their website. I bought one and am taking it to Alaska for Brown Bear in 10 days.