Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Possible changes to bear baiting in Idaho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

Re: Possible changes to bear baiting in Idaho

Ya do away with the baiting. That way more little bears and sows with cubs get shot by antsy stalking hunters. Atta boy CAT guy! Every bear I see looks big without anything to compare it to. I think there are more pros to baiting then not.
Montana sucks to hunt bears in, around my area at least! Not only that but people shoot some tiny bears here, thinking they are big! Guilty!
The only way you really get to sit and watch a bear for any amount of time around here is to find one eating on a winter kill.
And moderator flag me but, O'l Cat guy called B.S. on some of my wolf location reporting here late spring of last year, so I will say I do not like his style! I do have to admit that his statement here, was the most ignorant piece I have read for some time.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:01 AM
Silver Member

Not to hijack this thread but I'm wanting to head to idaho this year to do some spring bear hunting. It's banned here in colorado in the spring as well as hound hunting them and baits.

I'm thinking units 10/12, I'm only going to be able to hunt for 6-9 days so I think bait is not an option. I'm really wanting to do some cross canyon spot and stock on feeding bears.

Thanks for any info
Old 02-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

Not to hijack this thread but I'm wanting to head to idaho this year to do some spring bear hunting. It's banned here in colorado in the spring as well as hound hunting them and baits.

And this is exactly what you will have in ID if you guys don't all hang together.....we haven't had baiting or hounds in Co for 20 or so yrs now, and you know what? the same amount of bears are being killed as when we did have baiting, only they are being killed by cf&g wardens because they are a problem.

Work with the DOW and keep emotion out of it.....AJ
Old 02-10-2014, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

Hey Rooster,
Sorry I have'nt answered your reply sooner. Been in Oakland, CA for 10 days on a tile floor job.
Anyway, I don't like your response. You DO NOT know me and the way I hunt. Therefore I think we should meet up in person & chat about this. My little wife & I are always in Montana. You come up with a meeting place between here & where ever you live. We can have hot coffee or cold beer. Your choice & I will buy.
Crawl out from behind your keyboard & let me know. Look forward to meeting you.
Kirk
Old 02-14-2014, 07:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoula View Post
Hey Rooster,
Sorry I have'nt answered your reply sooner. Been in Oakland, CA for 10 days on a tile floor job.
Anyway, I don't like your response. You DO NOT know me and the way I hunt. Therefore I think we should meet up in person & chat about this. My little wife & I are always in Montana. You come up with a meeting place between here & where ever you live. We can have hot coffee or cold beer. Your choice & I will buy.
Crawl out from behind your keyboard & let me know. Look forward to meeting you.
Kirk
Sorry everyone to get off topic butt.
Dearest Kirk
You are right I do not know you, and I do not have to agree with your style of hunting. I feel that bear baiting needs to remain the way it is, because not everyone is a super stealthy Boone and Crockett bear killer. I find it odd that you can call B.S. on my reporting of wolf locations in my desperate attempt to try and get all of these vermin killed. Yet when I state my opinion on bear baiting, now you want to meet at the bike rack?
Oh, and your behind the keyboard statement was cute! I bet that made you feel good to get that off your chest. Not to create a bit of jealousy but of the 10 days that you were in CA, I spent 7 of them hunting. I get a little board sitting there glassing all day, so I do crawl behind the Iphone and bang away. 30 miles north of Gardiner on 89 south is where I live and I am always looking for a free sandwich.
And I also feel that the newly proposed Idaho wolf baiting should be made legal.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:12 PM
Bronze Member

I think bear baiting sure would be nice here in Montana and so would running them with hounds. Maybe we can get a year round wolf season and bait them too. Kill them dogs!

Jay

Winchester Model 70 Black Shadow in 300 Win Mag, all factory, shooting Remington Core-Lokt 180 PSP factory rounds. Shoots too good to try and "fix" it. Multiple one shot kills to 400+/- yards and one kill at 815 yards.

Winchester Model 70 XTR in 264 Win Mag with Nikon 4.5x14SF BDC running HSM ammo loaded with 140 Grain Bergers. Antelope killer!

Someday, a APS Raptor LRSS in 338 AX. Time to step up my game. Ordered 10/2011 and still waiting!
Old 02-25-2014, 01:09 PM

I find that when a hunter suggests that a certain method of hunting should be banned it is because he has a superiority complex.

In this example someone who has killed a bear by spot and stalk puts themselves on a higher tier than the guy that kille dhis bear over bait. He reasons that the only real way to kill a bear is the way that he did it.

Having done both I will go so far as to say that hunting bears by spot and stalk is more fun than over bait only because it doesn't involve any of the work of running a bait site. When running baits I have to carry a lot of bait on my back to my site at least every other day, and sometimes it is more work than fun. When doing spot and stalk, I can just go out and hunt. Either way, killing a bear is difficult, while the difficulties of one method are different than the difficulties of another I do not believe that either is better than the other.

That said, I commented to IDFG that I do not support the proposal to change the baiting requirements because I think it would set a bad precedent. Besides where is someone supposed to come up with enough "natural" foods to run a successful baitsite?