Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Possible changes to bear baiting in Idaho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

Possible changes to bear baiting in Idaho

Send comments to F&G now on your thoughts on this. I think it's a bad idea. If you let them get a foothold in these two areas, it will set a precedent to change baiting practices in other ares as well. That and who knows what other things they will change if we allow this.

Basically it's never been an issue with black bears, at least not that I've heard of. Maybe if they'd open up a controlled hunt on grizzlies they would learn to fear man and this wouldn't be an issue either.

Idaho Fish and Game - News Release

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/...earBaiting.pdf

Send comments to niels.nokkentved@idfg.idaho.gov
Old 01-10-2014, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: Possible changes to bear baiting in Idaho

What I sent:

Quote:
I am writing to comment on the proposed changes to bear baiting.

I strongly oppose these changes. Making these changes opens the door to changes being made to all hunting zones that have the potential to have grizzlies within them.

I would rather see efforts being put towards the delisting of grizzlies so that a controlled hunting season could be had on them. As it stands now, grizzlies have no fear of man, and no reason to fear man. Changing baiting practices would be a bandaid fix at best, and has the potential to spread to all hunting zones and cause far more damage to hunting via further restrictions.

I do not support any changes to bear baiting practices in Idaho.

Sincerely,

Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxx
Old 01-10-2014, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

In relation to grizzly bears, the use of natural bait creates a problem from my experience. While there is no way to keep grizzlies out of a bait site they tend to come once and not return to a site that uses non-natural baits (day old donuts, bread and other sweets), use of legal animal parts tends to keep the grizzlies coming back. At least that is what I've found here in Alaska. Possible short sighted solutions to undefined problems can often create unwanted consequences. Changes to a system that doesn't have a specific problem is usually a bad thing to consider.

Gus
Old 01-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Silver Member

I wish Idaho would only allow spot & stalk for black bears like Montana does. Hound hunters are always running bears off of other peoples baits. Do away with hounds & baits. All good.
Kirk
Old 01-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Silver Member

That is the type of thinking that gets our rights and privileges taken away.
  • What if they made your proposed change and then limited it to archery only? Because rifle hunters are noisy and run game off for everyone else, right?
  • And then what if they changed it to only traditional bows, because compound are too much of an advantage, right?
  • And then what if they changed it to only certain broadheads, because the newer ones are just far too inhumane in the damage they do, and the pain they inflict, right?
  • And then we just close it down altogether because it's just outright inhumane to make an animal die a slow death, drowning in its own blood from an arrow wound, right?

Let's not service our own wants and or preferences at the expense of other sportsman.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoula View Post
I wish Idaho would only allow spot & stalk for black bears like Montana does. Hound hunters are always running bears off of other peoples baits. Do away with hounds & baits. All good.
Kirk

That is the kind of attitude that anti hunters like to see, pitting one group of hunters against another. The same kind of things happen when hunters are only concerned about guns for hunting purposes and ignore 2a rights. We need to stand together for all of our rights.

Gus
Old 01-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoula View Post
Kirk
Well you made me think about it.

We all share the same woods, and finding ways to do it without bumping into someone else's hunt gets more difficult with time.

My first bear hunt we hiked in to a berry patch, the sun came up, and there must have been more than a dozen of us glassing the same spot.

Bait close to roads, and your bear will get run by hounds, no doubt.

One thing I've discovered watching over the years is taking away someone else's time in the field yields, no more time in the field, tags, or season for the rest of us.

I've taken bear every way, but predator calling. Hounds are an exciting way to hunt. Usually they'll take you someplace most folks won't go. A good adrenaline rush, and every young person should take on the challenge of keeping up with the dogs. It's a tradition that we'll all be worse off to lose. A great group hunt that a novice can come along with, and learn from the veterans.

Bear bait is the perfect first hunt for kids in my opinion, a controlled situation, by no means a guarantee, and in some of the jungles in Idaho the most realistic way to take a bear.

We lost our bait, and hounds a long time ago, there has been no benefit to the spot and stalk hunters. Which we also do. The thing that makes bear hunting so interesting is the number of ways it can be done.

All this becomes is divide and conquer. Using the grizzly the same way the wolf has been used, an excuse to keep folks out of the woods,