Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Polar bear defensive handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 05:16 PM
Gold Member

Re: Polar bear defensive handgun

I agree completey with everything you have said. We have only personally tested this bullet in deer ( complete pass through) and ground. Weight retention has been amazing and very little deformation. We picked this bullet based on its reputation and the tests we have read about and heard about in our research. Bear tooth bullets used to make the bullet that double tap uses but now DT makes their own ( still same bullet from what I understand). they just make it their self. Bear tooth is out of dover Idaho and I have spent a lot of time talking with the owner (his name is Marshall -very nice guy) he told me a lot of guys have reported back after shooting 600 lb hogs with excellent penetration results. Wish I had more first hand experience on game. Hopefully more to come! I love the big revolvers and we only started the 10mm project after I chronographed my 3" 44 mag. By the time it became comfortable to carry I lost to much velocity ( in my opinion). My conclusion was this. If i was OK with carrying a long barreled revolver, it would be the way to go, but if I was going to choose between a short barreled revolver, I would go with the 10. These things are amazingly accurate to a long ways out! Again, don't have a ton of results yet but from what we have seen/ read/ heard we are very impressed so far. On a side note, have you made it to any of the shoots near Spokane that Caleb puts on? Let me know if you can make one and I will bring the 10.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

No I'm ashamed to say I haven't made it to one of Caleb's shoots. I did meet up with him one day, good guy trying to do a good thing. I will keep trying to get to one.

Currently, I've got the Ruger, .44 Special, 4 5/8 pretty handy at tent distances, and with Buffalo Bore hard cast 255's I believe it will work. They claim just shy of 1000 fps from a 3.25" barrel. I can't vouch for that never tested them, on order so we'll wait and see.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:15 PM
Bronze Member

what does everyone think about a 460 rowland conversion in a glock 21 or a 1911 325 from brownells supposed to give 44 magnum horse power
Old 01-30-2014, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

Harperc, your set up sounds like a good one.

On the 460, I am not that familiar with it. I've read on it a little in the past, but have no first or even second hand knowledge of it.

Appears to be a very impressive round though!
Old 01-31-2014, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

460s&w
Old 02-18-2014, 01:35 PM
Silver Member

Since you have a lot of experience with auto pistols, maybe a desert eagle in one of the more powerful calibers would be interesting ?

Some people are more experienced with revolvers and that "hold", while others are more trained with pistols. My personal experience is that the transition between the two is not always so straightforward and rewarding.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

460 S&W, get the 4 1/2- 6 1/2" barrel.

find a holster custom to you and how you'd like to carry it.

A bear spray wouldn't hurt either.