Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Polar bear defensive handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 03:23 PM

Polar bear defensive handgun

I might be placing this in the wrong forum, but here we go.
I am going to Svalbard as a helicopter pilot for 5 months.
I am going to have a short shotgun with slugs in the cabin.
I am bringing a signal pistol.
I am looking for a handgun for backup.
I have a wide variety of glocks in 9mm.
I fire almost 10.000rds a year thru my glocks shooting IPSC.

I know the 9mm glock only has a limited penetrating and energy.
So I have been looking on a 4'' 44mag and a 5'' 454 casall.

Which one should i bring.
I never shoot revolvers, and i bet I can shoot 6 9mm shots in the same time i can shoot 2 454 casall.

what should I do?
buy a magnum revolver or stick to my all time favorite glock.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Polar bear defensive handgun

I'd go with one of the magnums loaded with heavy bullets.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:58 PM

probably a good idea, but do you have a link to a good holster that is in stock?
Will be used every day for 18 months.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:03 PM
Bronze Member

Hitting a bear that size and that powerful with a 9mm, would be similar to trying to stop a 200 pound man with a BB gun. One perfectly placed round to the head at very close range might do the trick, but you could NEVER, and I mean NEVER, count on that happening. The 454 would be a much better bet. You would be much better off with one or two hard hitting deep penetrating rounds, than you would 9 or 10 little bee stings.
You have to cause serious internal damage to stop an animal. Making it mad will only make the situation worse. The 9mm will never penetrate far enough into something as big as a bear to stop it in time.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

Diamond D leather Alaskan Guide holster. I can't say if they're in stock, but I'd start there.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Gold Member

This is just my opinion. Glock model 20 sf 10mm with a lone wolf longslide upper 6 inch barrel. Using 200 grain beartooth or double tap flat wide nose hard cast. When you go to a short barrel in a revolver you are losing a ton of velocity and energy. With our 10mm loads we are exceeding 44 mag energy with a 3 inch barrel. Confirmed through chronograph. With a 6 inch 44mag same load we are equaling energy with our 10mm. I'm not saying you can't get a hotter 44 load either. I had lone wolf build this for me last year and love it. I had them open the leads in the chamber to accept these bullets for dependability. Goggle what fish and game uses for polar bear country sidearm in Alaska? no I'm not saying this is the best choice for everybody But this is what I would take. With a plus 2 mag ext. I have 18 rounds with close to 900 lbs energy.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiglas View Post
This is just my opinion. Glock model 20 sf 10mm with a lone wolf longslide upper 6 inch barrel. Using 200 grain beartooth or double tap flat wide nose hard cast. When you go to a short barrel in a revolver you are losing a ton of velocity and energy. With our 10mm loads we are exceeding 44 mag energy with a 3 inch barrel. Confirmed through chronograph. With a 6 inch 44mag same load we are equaling energy with our 10mm. I'm not saying you can't get a hotter 44 load either. I had lone wolf build this for me last year and love it. I had them open the leads in the chamber to accept these bullets for dependability. Goggle what fish and game uses for polar bear country sidearm in Alaska? no I'm not saying this is the best choice for everybody But this is what I would take. With a plus 2 mag ext. I have 18 rounds with close to 900 lbs energy.
More critical than energy for me is penetration, and wound channel. I have some experience on smaller bear, deer, and such with the 300 grain .44 loads, and they penetrate well. Using the Buffalo Bore 305 grain loads in the .44, and the 365 grain loads in the .454, any idea how the 200 grain hard cast 10mm might compare for penetration? Genuinely interested in what your saying, you've mentioned it before, and I'm curious as to what your seeing.