Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Pa black bear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Bronze Member

Pa black bear

Anybody on here going after a Pa bruin? Where are you hunting and what are you carrying? I'll be on Dunbar mountain doing some stand hunting and possibly some spot and stalk. They do a lot of driving around here. I'll have my recently purchased Remington Sendero in 300 RUM topped with a Zeiss 4.5-14X44. I haven't had time to work up a load for this gun yet so I'll have some Nosler Custom Trophy Grades topped with 180 grain Partitions. Anybody else? Some pretty big bears come out of this state.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:04 AM

Re: Pa black bear

I'll be in the moshannon state forest in elk county, mostly stand hunting maybe some drives. I'll be carrying Rem. 700 in 300 win. mag. handloads topped with barnes ttsx 150 grain.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Bronze Member

Nice that rig will definitely get the job done. I used to hunt up that way a good bit myself but I quit a few years back. Got some friends that have a hunting camp in Caledonia off of Caledonia Pike. The land we hunted was just inside Clearfield county I believe though. Good luck. Hopefully we get some snow!!!
Old 11-20-2013, 09:57 PM

We have a camp pretty close to Medix Run, been hunting there for 10 years now, friend of mine has gotten 3 bears in that time, I however have not gotten a shot at one. Shot a couple of big coyotes though 52 and 48 lb.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:39 PM

I'm heading up to Moshannon State Forest with my Marlin 1895GS in 45-70. We'll be doing drives in thick stuff so the smaller gun is a benefit. The 405grn load pack a punch, but I still prefer shooting my 300WM...

-David
Old 11-21-2013, 09:08 PM
Silver Member

Haven't been bear hunting for a while, my father and i last hunted SGL #127 behind the rifle range while walking up the jeep road heard some hunters yelling and saw a VERY large black bear running straight at us my father side stepped behind a tree as not knowing we were on the road the hunters shot at the running bear missing us and the bear.
Not knowing how big the bear was BUT had a twelve inch paw print and the tages in it's ears later found that the bear weighed 658lb. two mounts before hunting season.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Silver Member

I wish I were there hunting bear this year, but I'm deployed. Next Fall, I hope to get back up there. I hunted SGL 207 last year; fresh snow the night before opening day, and we went four days without seeing a track. Lot of fun, but there were no bears there. I may give the same spot a try next year, or move on.