Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

New to bear hunting what are some need to knows?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: New to bear hunting what are some need to knows?

Probably the most important thing would be to get a mentor, to hunt with.
Get someone to go with, that can fill you in on important , "need to know stuff,"
in the field.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Gold Member

So, were you successful?
For the smaller bears 300 lbs or less most bullets will work. But you never know how big the next bear you see will be. . Shooting over bait is seldom a long range affair and I like to get as close as I can to them. I always shoot for big bones on bear so a tough bullet is best. Bears can be amazingly tough and if you are saving the meat you don't want to blood shock it all up. I like Barnes, Swift, Trophy Bonded ect bullets. A scope in the 2 power range is good.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
So, were you successful?
For the smaller bears 300 lbs or less most bullets will work. But you never know how big the next bear you see will be. . Shooting over bait is seldom a long range affair and I like to get as close as I can to them. I always shoot for big bones on bear so a tough bullet is best. Bears can be amazingly tough and if you are saving the meat you don't want to blood shock it all up. I like Barnes, Swift, Trophy Bonded ect bullets. A scope in the 2 power range is good.

Yes, i was ... in the sense of being aware of them and what to watch out for in the woods and around ledges and caves... At 15 my father pointed out a tree that a bear had marked, and seeing that alone made me have a deep respect for them.We both carried Model 100 s' 308 cal. (open sites) with 200 gr bullets. My Father was my mentor, but never wanted to shoot a bear unless we had too. So I wasn't big on bear hunting. Still, years later when I was in my 20's I shot two black bears in my time. There are other hunters who can tell you a lot more about bears than I can. The ones who hunt them all the time, are the ones I would want for a partner, and their knowledge. Some bears aren't very big, but are pretty big when they got you by the arss... lol