Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Need help finding the right boat for bears.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: Need help finding the right boat for bears.

My dad has a small inflatable pontoon type boat that he crosses the salmon river and others to fish steelhead and salmon. He is alone and takes all his gear and that river is not exactly dead water. Works good for accessing public land by river only, and geese during hunting season.
Food for thought
Old 03-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Gold Member

What you NEED to safely do what you want is a Zodiak or Avon inflatable. I know a bunch of guys who have died hunting with boats. A non rigid hull inflatable with a kicker bracket and a 4 horse kicker with an integral fuel tank. 2 stroke.

Take a ferry trip thru southeast Alaska sometime. All those white crosses you will see on the beaches is where people died. The bulk of them were hunting. . Getting in a small boat isabout the most dangerous thing u can do in Alaska.

a
A 10' skiff is a funeral waiting to happen.
a non rigid hull inflatable is far, far more sea worthy. A good set of oars i preferable to an outboard. And it will save packing about 60 lbs. A jon boa t is more stable than a v hull but neither is safe for 2 adult men to cross a river
Old 03-04-2013, 01:01 AM
Silver Member

We have a 14' avon but I was just scared with things going wrong. And this is the exact reason why all these bears are there. No one can get to them to kill them. Otherwise you wouldn't see them all day long. I think we just are going to keep looking for other options, such as new areas. I would have to know someone with first hand experience that is doing this. But I do appreciate all the help.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:58 AM
Gold Member

One of my best friends uses an Avon, 10' I think it is. We anchor the cabin fiberglass boat and take the raft to the beach

We've been doing it for decades. Were on salt water where he lives. But its nice and light, safe and durable. How big or class are these rivers. Is it like Hell's Canyon? Hundred yards wide or half mile?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Gold Member

Canoe
Old 03-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Silver Member

The slope on the rivers make them flow so fast. The one trouble is that they don't actually have places to get in and out of the rivers. Once the runoff hits they are big time whitewater rivers. The rivers are the lockshaw and maybe the clearwater. Typically always less than 200 yards wide and usually less than 100 yards.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Gold Member

I don't know those rivers very well but most rivers can be scouted from the road for a decent crossing. Getting canoe and gear to the put-in might be a hassle but i'd focus on "good crossing" and develop a plan around that. I'm fairly comfortable in a canoe in Class II and some non-technical Class III rapids. Crossing swift water in any craft can be dicey if you aren't competent to do it. I honestly wouldn't recommend jumping into a situation like that till you've worked your way up to it. It's not like it's that difficult but whatever craft you use, you need to do what you do with confidence and power or you may well go swimming.

I like canoes because they're easy and don't require much, if any management. You can carry them on top of your rig and there's nothing mechanical to consider. Get one in Royalex and they can take a beating when sliding down a steep bank or skidding some rocks in the river. For river work, don't think cheap. Hull design is important if you don't want to go swimming. I mostly paddle solo but if you paddle tandem, that's another thing you'll should get some practice doing so you're working together. I have a Novacraft Prospector 16. It's general hull design is sorta like the pick-up truck of canoes. Not the best at any one thing but decent at everything for a guy who's just looking to get the job done. For a guy who knows what he's doing, squirting across a river to hunt and coming back with your bear is a very doable proposition for a canoe.