Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

Need help finding the right boat for bears.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

Need help finding the right boat for bears.

I am trying to find a boat that would work in idaho to run across the river to kill bears. We see alot of bears but always seem to be across the river. This is mainly due to how steep the mountains are in conjunction with the roads. So what I am looking for is not a raft I have one and would not be ideal. I am needing a boat that two guys could pack down to the river, just to zip straight across to walk up and get bears. I would find the calmest spot possible but unsure what type of boat is needed. I have heard a boat similar to a jon boat but with a vhull is what I need. Also unsure what size motor is needed. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need help finding the right boat for bears.

Id get a phantom jet john,camo,the kind you can drive your four wheeler in.Then I would skip ID and head straight to AK. And shoot some big bears and other stuff.The Phantom is my dream boat.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the response but seem not like something I could only use once or twice a year and not worry about it.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Silver Member

just get a ten foot aluminum with a v hull and put an eight horse on it for the most part it will be able to break waves as long as you are going straight into them and with an eight horse it will cruise right along. Plus it will be easy to carry.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the help that is what I was thinking have you had any experience with this type of setup?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

yeah quite a bit only thing is you have to be careful when cutting across waves because alot of these boats have very little freeboard so if there is much for waves you need to be heading straight into them.

The eight horse motor will scoot pretty good but you aren't going to be setting any records. If you want to go fast you need a small zodiac but depending on how far it is to the water you won't be able to get it down let alone back to the truck.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

My goal is to find spots where the waves are down and it is just the river flowing and go across. That is why I need something lighweight to get down to the river. I just don't want to be playing on these rivers in the rapid type water. Just get on and across as quickly as can be being weight is a factor. I have been looking and asking around for a boat like this. I would buy one and go to some of the small rivers around here and test the abilities of the me and the boat. Then I would know what I can do long before I find a situation.