Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

How to Clean, Save and Preserve Bear Claws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Gold Member

How to Clean, Save and Preserve Bear Claws

What should I do with the bear claws when I get them out to How to Clean, Save and Preserve them.
thanks
we will be trying to bleach the skull next
retiredcpo
Old 04-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How to Clean, Save and Preserve Bear Claws

I personally don't know but, I was able to find this post and read through it. It may be of help to you.

http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforum...orum=6#2905200
Old 05-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Bronze Member

Just skin around them and remove any and all flesh. Set em out to dry and they should be good. If you want, you can put some clear coat for added protection. For the skull, find some commercial hydrogen peroxide. Not the stuff you get at the store but the stuff from a taxidermy supply store. (They sell it other places but I'm not sure where) Research Mannikins in Lebanon Or could probibly help you out if you give them a call. Anyway, Mix the peroxide and baking soda to make a paste that you spread over the skull and leave until the next day. When you brush off the dried paste, the skull will look much better than a painted skull.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

jcathunter, I'm not familar with preserving claws or skulls so what do you mean by better than a painted skull...do foks actually paint them a color?
Old 05-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
jcathunter, I'm not familar with preserving claws or skulls so what do you mean by better than a painted skull...do foks actually paint them a color?
No Chas, not in color, not unless theyre weird.
What he's talking about is;
after fleshing and boiling or whatever your meathods are, the skull has a part white, part yellowish tint to it, due to oils left in the bone. Most folks that display the bear skull spray it with white/cream enamel, to give it a more consistant dried bone color. As time goes by, the skull leaches oils, and the yellowish color comes back again, but more throughout the skull. Some folks remove the enamel at this point, some re-paint some leave it alone. Ive got a ''few'' bear skulls. theyve all been boiled and enameled. I just leave em that way.

Boiled and bleached, but havent tried the peroxide trick yet. Maybe after this August Ill give it a go. Thanks for the tip.
Claws Ive always left on the rug, but like stated earlier, fleshing and drying(maybe with rocksalt on the ''gooey'' part) then clear-cote. or raid your wifes nail polish for the clear stuff.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 05-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks winmag, makes sense now. I learned something new today.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Gold Member

well we pulled the claws got off as much flesh as we could and have left them out side for awhile
still have not done the skull yet its still in the freezer.
I have read that after boiling ect if you soak it in water with dawn dishsoap in it it will get the grease out of the bone to prevent the yellowing.
but im running out of time so I may have to take it to the taxidmist.