Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Bear Hunting

Bear Hunting Techniques For Bear Hunting

high shoulder shots on bears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

high shoulder shots on bears

What is everyone's opinion on a high shoulder shot on a bear to put him down in his tracks? Is it a prefered shot, or should you just take the double lung and know he is going to tip over soon enough.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: high shoulder shots on bears

Having only been black bear hunting once I'm sure there are guy's here who know much more than I, but judging from what I've seen I wouldn't advise it.

Bears carry a lot of fat and gristle high on their backs much like a hog so your bullet might pass thru on a high shoulder shot and not do enough damage to put it DRT.

The spine appears to be about a third of the way down from the back line, a rather difficult shot to make in low or very low light conditions. (Black bear, dark,my old eyes,etc.)

Gotta go with the double lung shot. Did see an old friend on his last hunt take a big blackie with a Texas heart shot. That got...exciting.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the reply. I am on the hunt for a spring bear (should I be so lucky to draw a tag) and starting to do my homework on them...
Old 01-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty View Post
Having only been black bear hunting once I'm sure there are guy's here who know much more than I, but judging from what I've seen I wouldn't advise it.

Bears carry a lot of fat and gristle high on their backs much like a hog so your bullet might pass thru on a high shoulder shot and not do enough damage to put it DRT.

The spine appears to be about a third of the way down from the back line, a rather difficult shot to make in low or very low light conditions. (Black bear, dark,my old eyes,etc.)

Gotta go with the double lung shot. Did see an old friend on his last hunt take a big blackie with a Texas heart shot. That got...exciting.
What's a Texas heart shot?

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 01-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Silver Member

in the rear out the front.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Silver Member

I've spined a couple of grizzlies, it isn't an instant kill but it stopped them from going very far. I prefer to break down the front end, lower on the shoulder to break front legs to prevent them from running. I have shot all but one of my bears at 75 yards or less.

Gus
Old 01-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Gold Member

I have done it both ways - high shoulder and lung shots. Have to go with Speedo on braking down the front - our Black Bear here in Montana don't run all that big - a 300# spring bear here is a big bear. You brake down the front end and they don't go very far - you punch them in the lungs and they can find the biggest mess in the country within 100 yds of taking a bullet.